22nd Strike

//Misaki

I waited for Tora in their ballroom once more. Just minutes ago my heart raced for him again in here.

Just minutes ago, I was determined to quit because I don't deserve Usui or Tora.

Had I been successful with my escape, I wonder where I'll be right now. Or what state would I be in? Because right now, all I know is I need to be calm and treat Tora like usual.

The door opened and I stood in attention.

Wow, Misaki. Very normal.

I shook my head and walked to Tora to hand him an ice pack.

"Sorry, I headbutted you earlier. I just..." I was avoiding looking at him but he lifted my face gently and I get to see his smile. The real one. The one I rarely see but whenever I do, my heart does a triple backflip.

I gulped and tried to calm myself. He can't know how much he's affecting me.

"Thanks," he said as he placed another ice pack against my forehead.

We stood still staring and holding ice packs for each other until someone knocked at the door. I almost jumped away from him like a scared cat.

He laughed a little before facing whoever saved me from being captivated by Tora's intense yet sweet gaze.

YOU'RE IN LOVE WITH USUI!! Get a grip!

"Ayuzawa!" Tora's alert face told me something isn't right.

I ran to him and read the letter he's holding.

It's an invitation to Usui's wedding. And it's happening tomorrow afternoon in England time.

"We're leaving. Now!" Tora held my hand and together we ran to get back Usui.

//Tora

Shit. Shit. Shit.

My intel was wrong. How can they be wrong?

I drummed my fingers against my lap and tried to focus. I need to pull all my strings or this'll be the end for Usui and Misaki.

I glanced at her and her eyes are closed. I think she's praying.

I called my Mom and told her I need to borrow our plane for a while and she hesitated before saying yes. I know she just really likes Misaki but we need to be fair to her. I made a promise and I'm gonna keep it.

We're at the airport after half an hour and the plane is ready. There are fewer crews but enough to make the flight. I bowed to everyone to show how thankful I am for their assistance. It took an hour before we took off.

"It'll be a long flight Mi--Ayuzawa," I said to her. She's sitting in front of me looking at the window. She's been quiet the whole time. She sighed and finally looked at me. I see fear in her eyes for the first time. "I know things aren't looking very great right now but you have me. I never fail. We'll get there in time."

Our original plan is to make it to the announcement party but I think the Walkers managed to sniff out my plans and decided to skip that and went straight for the killing move. Thankfully, the time difference gave us enough time to replan our abduction.

"What's our plan?" She's still scared but I believe that our teamwork won't fail.

"We'll have 12 hours before the wedding after we land. We'll wait for a bit in a hotel and I already have a contact that will be able to let us in earlier as staffs for the wedding. We'll have at least 6 hours to hunt and abduct your perverted alien."

She finally managed a laugh at that.

"Normally aliens abduct humans but we're doing the opposite," she's still laughing. Maybe she really needed that laugh. "I'm glad you're my partner in this crime."

I felt my stomach growl and we looked at each other before laughing once more.

I called the crew and ordered food for us two and also additional servings for the crew.

"But we have our own food, sir," the FA protested.

"Has it already been prepared?"

"The lunch, yes."

"Then I'll treat you to dinner. Please pick whatever you all like on the menu and bill it to me. It's the least I can do to show my gratitude."

I even smiled for her and she blushed then bowed her head before leaving us.

Lunch was quiet but very comfortable. We spent a little bit of time walking over our plan with the map of the venue then I hear her yawn.

"I suggest we sleep for a bit. We still have 13 hours of flight and the best way to spend that is by sleeping so we have energy to hunt."

She was just about to protest when the FA handed us both pillows and blankets.

"Do you want us to assist adjusting your chairs?"

"We're good here. Thank you. And I hope you all eat to your heart's content for dinner, okay?"

I heard hushed giggling and muffled high-fives from the crew.

"Why can't you always be like this?"

"What?" I looked at her in confusion.

"Like that," she gestured her hands towards me, "kind and warm."

"Oh... I didn't even realize I was being kind."

"I told you so... You're innately kind." She smiled proudly and I just can't help it anymore. I unclipped my seatbelt and she tensed when she saw me standing up. "W-what?"

I put my hands on the arms of her seat and just looked at her with a smile on my face.

I inched closer and she closed her eyes in reflex. I'm amazed at the level of restraint I had that I didn't even lunge at her at that moment.

She peeked her eyes when she noticed her chair is slowly adjusting for a sleeping position.

I took the pillow she's squeezing really hard and placed my hand on her shoulder. I pushed her gently until her head's on the pillow. She's looking up at me using her poker face or maybe I'm just not really affecting her. I covered her whole with a blanket.

"Sleep well, Ayuzawa," I said as I kiss the blanket covering her lips. I heard a muffled squeak but instead of being all mad and raging like her usual self, she stayed under the covers and we slept.

Or that's what I wanted her to think. I felt tears in my eyes again.

I'm flying with the girl I love to get back her man. What a fucking martyr I am. But if this is what'll make her happy, I'd do it over and over again.

No matter how much it breaks me.