TWO

CHAPTER 2
EXCITEMENT

IT seemed that every moment spent at school was more unbearable than the last, at least to Veronica

IT seemed that every moment spent at school was more unbearable than the last, at least to Veronica. She walked down the hall to her first class of the day with a melancholy expression. She tried to make herself believe this was because it was early in the morning, but she was simply tired of just being there.

Tossing her hair to the side, she watched Steve Harrington cover his girlfriend, Nancy Wheeler, with kisses. Jonathan Byers had been watching the encounter, until he eventually walked away. Veronica tried sending him a smile, but he hadn't looked up to see it, leaving her defeated. Her eyes moved back to Steve. She used to spend a lot of time with him and his crowd a couple years ago. Steve had been a dick head for a while, but she guessed Nancy changed him for the better.

When she had a falling out with their clique, she lost him too. She was grateful for that sometimes. However, this new Steve did give her the time of day, something she had been vying for secretly in sophomore year. In the end, everyone in this high school was more interested in their social status than actual friendship.

Nancy hit her boyfriend on the chest for scaring her. "God," she complained and pointed to his glasses, "take those stupid things off!"

Steve carefully slid off his black sunglasses. "I missed you."

"It's been, like, an hour."

"Tell me about it," Steve smirked before planting yet another kiss on her lips.

Veronica gagged outwardly at the couple, and Steve could just see her at the corner of his eyes. He pulled away from Nancy, watching Veronica placed a piece of bubble gum in her mouth before walking back down the hall. He cleared his throat for a moment and asked, "Hey, Nance, mind if I see that invite for a sec?"

"Yeah, sure," Nancy agreed, sliding the bright orange paper her friend had given into Steve's hands.

Steve kissed her goodbye before darting down the hall. Veronica Moreda had long legs, and he found it hard to keep up. Eventually, Steve was matching her pace, and he gave her a curt nod. "Hey, Ronnie," he greeted.

Veronica sent Steve a weird look and stopped her steady walk. She popped a bubble in his face. "Harrington," she muttered, crossing her arms over her chest. "What do you want?"

Steve laid the party invite out in front of her, to which Veronica's eyes went down. She skimmed the words carefully before blinking at Steve. "Come and get sheet-faced?" She rolled her eyes. "Can't say I've ever been a fan of puns."

She was already walking away from him – again. Steve sprinted back to her pace, frowning in her direction. "Listen, I know you hate Halloween, but ... you should come." He grinned big. "C'mon! What happened to the party animal that was Ronnie Moreda?"