THIRTY NINE

CHAPTER 39
ADRENALINE RUSH

VERONICA'S head was pounding, but she still managed to sprint the mile back to Dustin's vehicle

VERONICA'S head was pounding, but she still managed to sprint the mile back to Dustin's vehicle. She didn't know how, nor did he have time to explain, but the kid had somehow stolen one of those electric carts that the soldiers had been driving around in. The five teenagers stopped short in front of it, and Steve had to hang onto Veronica's shoulders in order to stand up. Veronica, on the other hand, felt better after running, but she could hardly see and her brain still felt like it was somersaulting. Was this what vertigo felt like?

"There's no way we can all fit in there," Veronica commented as Erica and Robin got in the front seats.

Dustin opened the trunk normally used for storage. "Of course, there is," he replied, pulling Veronica forward. "Now, get in."

"Um – excuse me –" She didn't have time to complain – or do anything, for that matter – because Dustin was yanking on her short sleeve, shoving her inside the trunk. Steve wasn't as hard, seeing as he was basically attached to Veronica's hip the entire time. Dustin slammed the doors shut as Veronica pounded her fists on the metal and panted, "We are not animals!"

"For right now, you are," Dustin laughed, starting up the engine from the driver's seat.

He hit the gas immediately, propelling the drugged-up teenagers forward. Veronica hit her head on one of the metal walls, making her migraine all the more worse. When she opened her eyes, she could've sworn that they were moving around inside her skull. Veronica placed a hand over her mouth, feeling vomit rise in her throat as Dustin whipped through the empty halls of the Russian base.

"What's wrong, Wonnie?" Steve joked, making his tone go higher.

Veronica squeezed her eyes shut. "I think I'm going to be sick."

"Well, don't throw up on me," he scoffed. "I don't have the time or money to get puke out of this thing."

"Can you just be quiet for a goddamn –"

The cart whirled around, causing Veronica's body to slam into Steve's. They held onto each other automatically, afraid to let go. Veronica's urge to vomit vanished as soon as she felt the familiar comfort of Steve's arms around her, even though he smelled like sweat and he was outrageously drugged. She would always be comfortable in his embrace, with her head resting on his chest so she could hear his heartbeat, as gross as it sounded.

Dustin cut the engine. It felt like they had hit something. Veronica went still and glanced around, while Steve continued to giggle under his breath. The doors to the back swung open, revealing Robin with a smirk on her face. She groaned at the sight of them, "Could you two be any more obvious?"

Veronica looked over at her ex-boyfriend, noticing the way he was smirking down at her, before shoving him off and hopping out of the cart. With Robin's help, she then hauled Steve from the trunk, and his arms gripped her shoulder tightly once again. "This sucks," he complained.