THIRTEEN

CHAPTER 13
THE SPY

EDWARD leaned himself against the entrance of Will Byers' room

EDWARD leaned himself against the entrance of Will Byers' room. He rubbed a hand over his mustache, watching the boy's face contort into worry. As Will laid in his hospital bed, Edward could do nothing but compare his youthful face to Louie. The thought almost made him burst into tears.

Will was surrounded by his friend, Mike Wheeler, and his mom with her boyfriend. Joyce held onto his hand tightly, while Mike found himself staring at his feet intently. Once in a while, Will would release a muffled cry, but as the sky turned dark outside, it became more frequent. His lips began to part, as if he was searching for air. He choked the slightest bit on the words he tried to say. "I – I'm ... I'm sorry," he whispered.

Edward took a step forward, not believing the apology he just heard. Will's eyes held only blackness, and just that was terrifying enough. "Will," Edward muttered as he stood beside Bob, "what's wrong?"

"What?" Joyce leaned in, holding her boy's hand strong. Her voice became nervous as the monitor beside Will beeped loudly. "What do you mean, sweetie?"

Will's head turned to face Joyce. "It made me do it," he said, tears pricking at his eyes.

Joyce's brow furrowed. Her breathing became irregular and she grabbed both of Will's hands. "Who? Who made you do what?"

"I told you," Will replied through heavy breaths. "They upset him. You shouldn't have done that."

Edward's body was rigid. His eyes went wide as Will's locked with his own. "You shouldn't have upset him," Will cried.

"The spy," Mike Wheeler exclaimed. "The spy!"

Edward did the first thing he could, and that was run. He needed to find Hopper right now. He immediately sprinted out of the hospital room and down the corridor with Mike Wheeler following behind. The sweat stains on his uniform were larger, but Edward didn't care as he rushed to find his boss. He knew he was in the laboratory room, where the gate to this Upside Down was located, but that was the exact place he didn't need to be.

Edward saw two guards at the set of doors leading to the lab. He shook their shoulders, screaming, "LET ME IN!"

Mike yanked on one of the guard's shirts as he said, "It's a trap! It's a trap!"

The guards shoved Edward away as they ordered, "No, no one is allowed in at this time."

Mike held on for dear life, shaking the guard. "WE HAVE TO WARN THEM! IT'S A TRAP!"

Edward grasped the collar of a guard firmly, almost knocking the hat off his head. He stared at him with malice in his eyes, seething, "You better let me through, or so help me God, I will fucking arrest you."

The two guards shared a worried look before finally opening the doors to the lab. Doctor Owens was rubbing at his forehead while everyone gathered at the scanner, which showed red dots heading up towards the entrance of the Upside Down. The doors opened with a loud slam, and Edward and Mike Wheeler skidded to a stop. Hopper turned and gave his coworker a trouble look. "It's a trap," Edward heaved out. "They're coming for us."