NINE

CHAPTER 9
ELECTRICITY

"ALRIGHT, so let me get this straight

"ALRIGHT, so let me get this straight. You kept something you knew was probably dangerous in order to impress a girl, who ... who you just met?"

The trio cautiously walked down the abandoned railway on the edge of Hawkins, throwing pieces of the raw meat on the ground. Dustin said it would "attract Dart," which left Veronica to guess that's what he called his monster-pet-thing. Veronica took a drag from her cigarette, seeing as it was the only thing that would calm her down during this time. She really didn't care about keeping up a better image in front of the kid anymore. The scent of nicotine was strong in the air.

Veronica strode down the railway with Steve on her left. Her sneakers squished under the muddy dirt, leaving a stain. She threw down another piece of raw meat as Dustin replied, "Alright, that is grossly oversimplifying things."

Steve glanced at the blue-haired girl beside him, but she didn't notice. "I mean, why would a girl like some nasty slug anyways?"

"I think that's cool," Veronica added, blowing a heap of smoke in Steve's direction, and he waved it away with his hand.

Dustin gestured to Veronica. "Thank you," he said proudly. "It's an inter-dimensional slug. So awesome."

"Well," Steve sighed, "even if she thought it was cool – if she didn't, I ... I just think you're trying way too hard, man."

"Not everyone can have your perfect hair, alright?"

Veronica frowned. "His hair's not that great."

"Says the one with faded blue hair," Steve scoffed. "Anyways, it's not about the hair, man. The key with girls is just ... acting like you don't care."

Veronica had been staring at the autumn leaves falling to ground, but became distracted when she heard Steve's reply. Her eyes went narrow. "Why is it that you boys always think you know what girls want?" She huffed out smoke from her nostrils. "I mean, Christ – if some guy who was trying to date me started to act like he didn't care ... that would make me want to kick his ass."

Steve almost tripped on the tracks at her comment, but caught himself successfully. "You're just ..." He paused. "You're different, Ronnie."

Veronica met Steve's eyes, and he was smiling at her genuinely. She immediately felt a wave of awkwardness rush through her, causing her to quickly look away from him and throw more raw meat to the ground.

Dustin looked between them with a confused expression. "So ..." He cleared his throat to speak again. "What if you do care?"

Steve shrugged. "Even if you do, act like you don't. Drives 'em nuts."

Veronica rolled her eyes, almost bumping into Dustin because he stopped in the middle of the railway. She pushed him forward as he asked, "Then what?"

"You just wait until – uh – until you feel it," Steve said, nudging Dustin's arm.