EIGHT

CHAPTER 8
THE LONGEST NIGHT

VERONICA leaned on her hockey stick, trying to suppress the fear that was clearly evident on her face

VERONICA leaned on her hockey stick, trying to suppress the fear that was clearly evident on her face. Dustin stood close to her, cracking his knuckles as they waited for Steve to return. The younger boy gulped and stepped near Veronica. "Do you think he's okay?" He asked her.

Her face immediately went back to the usual bored expression. "Of course," she said. "Monsters aren't real, kid."

Dustin huffed out a sigh before moving towards the open shed. "Steve," he called out softly. There was no answer, causing Veronica to peer inside the lair as well. "Steve, what's going on down there?"

Suddenly, a bright light shined on their eyes, and Veronica actually shrieked out loud. She jumped back as Dustin laughed at her reaction. She looked inside the shed again, seeing Steve shining his flashlight on them. "What the shit, Steve?!" She exclaimed while holding her chest.

"Get down here," Steve said. "Both of you."

Dustin and Veronica locked eyes, and for the first time, the blue-haired teenager let her terror show. She walked in front of Dustin, holding her spiked stick out in front of her, though she knew the tool was useless against a living animal. When she reached the end of the stairs, there was nothing – just like she predicted. Steve held up his bat and a mucus-like substance hung from the end of it.

"Veronica's right," Steve muttered. "There's nothing down here."

Veronica wanted to be pleased with herself, but her eyes reverted to whatever was hanging on Steve's bat. "Then, what the fuck is that?"

Dustin's eyes went wide at the slime-covered plastic wrap on the spiked bat. "Ah, shit."

Steve then moved to the side, shining his flashlight to a wall in front of them. But when Veronica looked up, she didn't see a wall at all. Bricks were scattered on the floor, all covered in the same slime. A large hole was dug into the red bricks of the shed and she could see nothing back darkness inside of it. "Oh, shit," Dustin said even louder.

The three walked slowly towards the hole, but even when Steve's flashlight illuminated the scene more, Veronica saw nothing. Darkness eroded the entire spot, leaving in it's place a gate to another dimension. She swallowed hard at the sight before her, and she almost didn't believe her eyes.

Dustin slowly looked over his shoulder, sending her a grin. "Do you believe us now?"

•••

Hospitals had always terrified Edward. He had witnessed two births in one, but the clean aesthetic of these buildings did nothing but give him the chills. Medical areas were from his worst nightmares, and he swore he could hear Veronica's wailing as a newborn throughout the building he was in now.