SIX

CHAPTER 6
THE ONE WITH THE NAILS

STEVE Harrington turned on the shower in an angry manner

STEVE Harrington turned on the shower in an angry manner. He washed off all the sweat clinging to his body from basketball practice, as well as his frustration. Billy Hargrove completely threw him off during the play, showing himself as the most dominant player on the team. Steve already disliked him for what he did to Veronica Moreda – though Billy didn't realize that Steve knew of this – but today made him loathe the new kid even more.

He felt a presence near him as he scrubbed shampoo through his thick hair. The other boy turned on the shower and blew a few boogers from his nostrils. "Don't sweat it, Harrington," Billy's deep voice rang through the locker room. "Today's just not your day, man."

"Yeah, it's not your week," Tommy Hellos laughed from the shower beside Steve's. "You and the princess break up for one day, and she's already running off with the freak's brother."

Steve glanced to Tommy in confusion.

"Oh, shit," Tommy grinned big. "You don't know. Jonathan and the princess skipped yesterday. Still haven't shown. But that might be just a coincidence, right?" He chuckled loudly before turning off his shower and leaving.

Billy leaned against the shower nozzle. "Don't take it too hard, man. Pretty boy like you has nothing to worry about. Plenty of bitches in the sea, am I right?" He smirked slightly. "You know that Veronica Moreda, right? She's easy enough."

Steve looked up to send Billy a glare, but the other boy was already switching his shower off and slapping Steve on the back. Billy ignored Steve's hateful expression, and instead, smiled wide as he walked away to change.

Hiding his anger towards Billy Hargrove was the hardest thing he had to do in that moment.

•••

Veronica had enough of the stares by Wednesday. She was so tired of the whispers, and knew she needed to end the issue between her and Billy once and for all. This new kid had fucked up her nonexistent life even before she wanted it to start again.

She wanted a night of fun again; she wanted to forget what happened on Halloween two years ago. Instead, she got stupidly drunk and fucked the new kid, only to boost his ego and ruin hers. They were both at fault, but she needed an apology for him just leaving her at the party, naked and vulnerable.

When classes were released for lunch, Veronica lingered by her classroom and waited to see Billy Hargrove venture outside the school to eat. After a few minutes, the crowds of kids in the hallway slowly dispersed to allow him through. He threw some winks to random girls, including Carol, but all Veronica could focus on was her flinching to the sound of his large boots. He walked right past her, not even noticing her presence.

Veronica's teeth grit and she adjusted the straps of her backpack. She stepped out into the crowded hall, elbowing people out of her way. Just as Billy neared the entrance of the school, Veronica shouted, "HEY, NEW KID!"