FIVE

CHAPTER 5
BULLSHIT

CHAPTER 5BULLSHIT

"AM I bullshit?"

Veronica leaned her head on the window of Steve Harrington's car. A lit cigarette was placed between two fingers on her right hand, and she was trying her best to keep her eyes closed to prevent a migraine from growing. Although, Steve's sudden ranting wasn't exactly helping, and all she wanted was their car ride in the wee hours of the morning to be left in silence. She couldn't believe how her night ended: left alone after fucking the guy who used her as a pity date. She wanted to scream at herself.

She lifted her head the slightest bit, sending him a confused look. "I don't know how to answer that."

"Like," Steve sighed, hands gripping the wheel tightly, "is everything I do bullshit?"

Veronica rubbed her temples. "I don't know," she whispered. "Did someone call you that? Billy? Tommy?"

Steve swallowed hard before muttering, "Nancy."

She suddenly became quiet. Veronica took a drag from her cigarette and blew it out the passenger side window. She was pretty surprised that Nancy Wheeler said something like that to her boyfriend, but maybe she wasn't as good as everyone thought.

"She was ... probably really drunk. I don't know." Veronica shrugged, closing her eyes as her head began to pound. "But, then again, drunk words are sober thoughts."

Steve glanced at her before turning back to the road. "You're not making this any better," he said. "So I am bullshit then."

"Harrington, I seriously don't know what this is all about!" Her exclamation sent a wave of pain to her temples, and she rubbed them upon the feeling. "We're acquaintances now. We haven't hung around each other for two years. Things are different. I don't know this new you."

"Maybe we can change that," Steve smiled at her, but her eyes were still closed. "Seeing as most of my friends don't like me and my girlfriend says I'm bullshit, why don't we just hang out?"

Veronica was staring at him then, almost glaring. She pointed her cigarette in his direction. "That sounds like you only want to be friends because you're alone." She scoffed and leaned back against her seat. "No thanks."

Steve watched her finish off her cigarette and flick it outside the window. He shook his head, turning onto her dead-end street. "That's not what I meant."

"Yes, it was," she replied quickly, resting her head against the window.

Steve pulled the car into her driveway, spotting her father's cruiser parked closest to the house. Veronica didn't move at all, leaving Steve to get out of his car and try to lift her out of the passenger side. She groaned in pain, muttering, "I can get up myself," though when he let go, her knees almost gave out. Steve had to practically drag her by the shoulders to the front door, which was oddly unlocked. "It's always that way," she said through tired eyes.