TWENTY ONE

CHAPTER 21
KING STEVE

CHAPTER 21KING STEVE

"STEVE!"

Veronica's scream pierced the air, almost shattering the windows of the Byers' home. She sprinted forward as Billy stalked towards the house, allowing her to shove him out of the way. Veronica's feet skidded to a stop in front of Steve, who laid on the ground, holding his forehead. "Fuck," he groaned as Veronica struggled to figure out what to do. He was bleeding. And Billy was already in the house. And she needed a bandage. And she needed to kill Billy.

"I told you to stay on your feet, Harrington!" Billy shouted as he swung open the porch door.

Veronica hurled Steve to his feet, smacking his face a few times. "Wake up, Steve. Wake up," she muttered. Veronica then shook his shoulders, which caused him to blink his eyes. "Come on. Come on. We gotta go."

Steve nodded quickly and followed her dash to the house. She pushed the front door open, and her ears were welcome by Billy screaming, "YOU ARE SO DEAD, SINCLAIR! YOU'RE DEAD!"

Veronica's feet went still when she reached the scene, eyes growing wide as Lucas kneed Billy in the crotch. Steve pushed Veronica behind him, much to her dismay. She shook Steve's arm to let her past, but he wouldn't move. He then grabbed Billy's arm, pulling him back into the kitchen. "No," Steve seethed, "you are."

Steve then sucker-punched Billy in the nose. He crouched down from the punch, kneeling almost into the counter, but then he was ... laughing? Billy stood up fast, cackling in Steve's face. "Looks like you got some fire in you after all, huh?!" He exclaimed with joy, leaning close to Steve. "I've been waiting to meet this ... King Steve everyone's been telling me so much about."

Lucas was embraced by his friends tightly. Veronica shielded them behind her before she stepped in between Steve and Billy. She placed her hand on Billy's exposed chest, feeling his heart beat fast from adrenaline and his skin excruciatingly hot. Her glare cut into his as she ordered, "Get the fuck out of this house."

Billy paused, staring at Steve before his eyes slid to Veronica's. They narrowed in her direction, breathing heavily onto her face. Suddenly, he shoved her back into a wall and swung for Steve, who quickly dodged the punch. Steve went for him, throwing his fist into Billy's jaw and causing him to fall on the table. The kids continued to cheer on Steve. Billy laughed. Steve continued to punch, shoving him into the kitchen sink.

Veronica rubbed the back of her head. The impact of it on the wall felt crushing, and she had to blink her eyes a few times to adjust them to the light. When her dizziness faltered, she heard Billy's penetrating laughter. She saw him take a dirty dish from the sink and shatter it on Steve's head.

Steve fell back, staggering into the kitchen. Veronica never heard a shriek so loud come out of her mouth than that moment. Dustin tried stopping Billy, but the older teenager just pushed him away. Billy suddenly grabbed a rotating Steve by the collar, pulling him upward to face him. The side of Steve's head was gushing blood.