SEVENTEEN

CHAPTER 17
VULNERABILITY

THEY had somewhat of a plan

THEY had somewhat of a plan. After inspecting the garage, Hopper decided to insulate it. They threw out most of the belongings in the garage, except for the bright lights and heaters. They covered the walls with blankets and cardboard, as well as a chair for Will to sit in. In order for Will not to know where he was, they needed to remodel the tool shed. This will block the Mind Flayer from spying on them.

The kids were in charge of getting everything out of the garage, while Veronica and her father had to search the house for more heaters and lights. Nancy and Steve taped blankets and towels to the old walls. This was the main way to insulate the entire shed.

Steve stood on top of a stool to staple a brown tarp on the top of the wall. Nancy pulled off a piece of duct tape and placed it on the sides of the tarp. She cautiously looked up to her ex-boyfriend as he hopped down from the stool. She swallowed down the anxiety that lumped in her throat. "Hey," she called out. Steve's gaze met her own. "What you did – um – helping the kids, that was ... really cool."

Steve laid his arm on a random shelf in front of him. He stared at Nancy with a bit of skepticism, but took her words as genuine. He'd never show that though. "Yeah," he replied, "those shits are real trouble, you know."

Nancy watched Steve step up on the stool again. She laughed softly. "I know," she answered. Her eyes wandered up to him again, and she found herself wringing out tape without realizing. Nancy pulled out more duct tape and stuck it to the wall. "So ... are you ..." She breathed in deeply through her nostrils, unaware of Steve's eyes on her. "Are you now, like, into Veronica Moreda?"

"Are you now into Jonathan Byers?"

Nancy blinked at his question, leaving Steve to shake his head. He released a chuckle. "I don't know," he finally answered. "She's a cool chick."

"You two would look good together," Nancy said with an awkward beam. Steve only nodded and sent her the same smile. The two exes worked in an uncomfortable silence, and that was good enough for Nancy.

Inside the house, Veronica was turning over Joyce's entire room to find another heater. Eventually, when she looked in the bedroom closet, she found a small, compact heater in the corner. While she tugged it out, Edward was unplugging and picking up a few bedroom lights. A sweat broke out on Veronica's forehead, and she stood up straight to wipe it off.

"I can't believe I got myself into this," Edward muttered.

Veronica laughed. "You and me both, dad."

Edward turned to face his daughter and held up both lights. "All of this is completely ridiculous," he said, "but I saw the hole to that other side. Shit is insane."

"Have you seen the Demodogs yet?" She asked.

Both nodded their heads and said in unison, "Crazy."