TWENTY SEVEN

CHAPTER 27
OFFICE ROMANCE

OUT of all things to come from the Halloween Disaster of 1984, Veronica never expected to become friends with Nancy Wheeler

OUT of all things to come from the Halloween Disaster of 1984, Veronica never expected to become friends with Nancy Wheeler. The blueberry-haired bitch had never been fond of her, thinking Nancy to be a typical priss, a prude. But Nancy Wheeler wasn't like that at all. Getting to know Jonathan Byers had really shown her that labels never mattered, and she was an all-around better person because of him. Veronica looked up to Nancy's can-do attitude and the fact that she never stood down from something she believed in. It was this kind of outlook that landed her a job at the Hawkins Post right out of high school, while Veronica was still searching desperately.

The two girls lounged by the community pool on a hot summer day. It was a whopping ninety-two degrees, and both, sadly, weren't gifted with a house that came with a pool. They'd have to deal with the crowded, piss-stained watering hole that the whole town loved. Nancy thanked her lucky stars that today was her day off, but instead of relaxing, she was beginning to make herself angry all over again as she recapped her work week to Veronica.

Leaning back against her chair, Veronica listened to Nancy drone on and on about the sexist men she had to deal with at the Post. She really admired Nancy's job, though she wasn't sure if she could control her anger around a bunch of pigs. Veronica almost wanted to write for the Post herself, but she felt that she was very much unqualified. She'd just continue to sit back and listen, wondering if that was almost like being there.

Veronica picked at her black, heart-shaped one-piece bathing suit as she waited for Nancy to stop groaning and hollering. Her friend was dressed in pastel pink bikini, showing off the small amount of curves she had, while her hair was thrown up with a red scrunchie. Veronica's own hair lay in blue, beach waves across her back, the fading becoming less prominent because of the lemon juice she squirted in her roots this morning. The sun was truly hair dye's best friend.

Nancy huffed, her hour-long rant officially coming to a close, and Veronica suddenly wished she had a cigarette in her hands to take in all the news. (Grown men were certainly a bunch of sexist assholes.) But the community pool was full of children, and she knew better. She may have been addicted to the bitter taste of nicotine, but Veronica Moreda was a little bit smarter than the average smoker.

"I really want to work at the Hawkins Post, but ..." Nancy sighed, pushing her white-rimmed sunglasses higher on the bridge of her nose. "Maybe I should look for another job."

Veronica snorted. "Help me while you're at it. I need a summer job badly before I move into school in September."

Nancy's head whipped in her direction. "I didn't know you committed to a college."

"Clarion University," Veronica replied, tossing her hair to the side. "They offered me a shit load of student aid. I'll take what I can."

"Huh," Nancy frowned and sat further back in her lounge chair. A kid ran out of the pool and flicked some water in her direction as he went to his mother. "Do you even know what you want to major in?"