THIRTY FOUR

CHAPTER 34
CHILD ENDANGERMENT

WITH a flashlight in hand, Erica Sinclair climbed up the ladder and poked her head inside the dusty vent

WITH a flashlight in hand, Erica Sinclair climbed up the ladder and poked her head inside the dusty vent. She peered around the cramped space, noticing a few bugs in the far right corner. Her lip curled back in disgust as she hopped down and faced the four teenagers, who were currently leaning against the table with hopeful expressions. "Yeah, I don't know about that," she hummed, slapping the flashlight down onto the table.

"You don't know if you can fit?" Dustin asked with a raised brow.

"Oh, I can fit." She crossed her arms over her chest. "I just don't know if I want to."

Robin tilted her head. "Are you claustrophobic?"

"I don't have phobias," Erica snickered.

Steve sighed, "Okay, then, what's the problem?"

"The problem is," she smirked wide, "I still haven't heard what's in this for Erica."

Veronica rounded the table and grabbed their blueprints. "Erica, we really don't have time to discuss logistics." She flattened the map onto the plastic table, causing the rest of the teenagers to huddle around her. "The plan is easy and you'll be fine. We just need someone as small as you to fit in that vent."

Erica slowly approached the table. "What even is this plan anyways?"

"This is the route you take," Veronica explained, finger sliding down the red line that Robin made. She noticed the close proximity of Steve on her right side, and upon looking over at him, he quickly moved an inch away. Veronica cleared her throat as Dustin and Robin shared a glance. "We'll just wait till the last delivery goes out tonight. Then, you knock out the grate, jump down, and open the door for us."

"And then, we'll find out what's in those boxes." Dustin grinned with excitement, but it soon faded once he realized the direness of the situation. "If the armed guard doesn't get us."

Erica's mouth fell open. "Armed guard? Are you crazy?"

"He won't be there," Robin added.

"You know what this half-baked plan of yours sounds like to me?" Erica narrowed her eyes. "Child endangerment."

Dustin promised, "We'll be in radio contact with you the whole time."

"Child! Endangerment!"

"Erica? Hi," Dustin waved his hand in the younger girl's direction. "We think these Russians want to do harm to our country. Great harm. Don't you love your country?"

She chuckled. "You can't spell, America, without Erica."

Steve furrowed his brow. "Guys, she's actually onto something here. That is so true."