THIRTY TWO

CHAPTER 32
TEENAGED TRAGEDY

EDWARD didn't expect to get a call from Hopper once he got home from the station that night

Veronica was working until close tonight, so Edward planned to stay in, make himself a box of Kraft Mac 'N Cheese, and watch some Star Search. He had just finished his meal for the night, and as he propped up his feet on the coffee table, leaning back into the old cushions of his sofa, the radio beside him began to create static, and Edward suddenly came to the conclusion that his plans were crushed.

Hopper had begged him to rush down to the old Hawkins Lab as soon as possible. Edward wanted to ask why – the lab had been closed down since they patched up the experimental walls late last year – but he didn't have time to. Hopper was pleading, voice strained through the static of their cheap walkies, and Edward had a strong feeling that this was bigger than he realized. He tugged his uniform back on and was in his cruiser within five minutes.

As Edward pulled up to Hawkins Lab, rain pounding onto the roof of his car, he could see why the place was closed down. It looked like it was rotting from the inside out, practically screaming the word, condemned. He walked out into the pouring rain, sweeping his short hair from his eyes, and calling out, "Hopper! Where you at?!"

He didn't have time to ask again, because someone was already screaming inside.

Edward moved at the speed of light, hardly registering the broken chain that laid in front of the laboratory's entrance. He remembered the halls of Hawkins Lab far too well. He remembered the twists and turns of every tunnel, how monsters lurked around every corner. But that was gone now, and all Edward had to focus on was the familiar screaming that resonated before him.

"This is Hawkins' Chief of Police. Come out with your hands up!"

He was close. He had to be. Edward pulled his pistol from the holster, turning off the safety, as his flashlight threatened to slip from his belt. "Hands up!" He heard Hopper shout. Edward swallowed hard as thunder crackled outside, growing louder each minute, but the next thing he heard was even louder.

"HOPPER! STOP!"

Joyce Byers.

Edward's breathing was heavy as he hollered, "Joyce! Hop! Where are you –"

He sprinted around a sharp turn, stopping short at the sight before him: Joyce sunk into the corner of the room, hugging her arms around her skinny torso, watching Hopper with a frightened expression. In front of her, Hopper was being tossed around the room – by who, Edward didn't know. The person was as sleek as a shadow, hidden within the darkness of the doomed laboratory. Their body was built like a truck, and they slammed their fists onto Hopper's back, before eventually kicking him to the ground.

Edward raised his weapon, finger hovering over the trigger. "HANDS UP!"

The figure simply looked back at him. Lightening appeared before the large windowpane in the room, highlighting just a small part of the person's muscles.