THIRTY SEVEN

CHAPTER 37
THE KEY

"WHAT even is that?"

Erica's question provoked no response for several minutes. Everyone's eyes were glued to what was lying in front of them. This couldn't be happening. The Russians were trying to open the Upside Down again. Oh, Jesus, Veronica thought, why can't things just stay in the past? Eleven had just closed the Gate last year. Why, oh why, did these dumbasses need access to it again, when she was still just trying to heal from the memories that haunted her at night? She was shaking with anger now, almost unable to hold it in.

"It's the Gate," she finally whispered, "and they want in."

Steve tugged on her hand, pulling the entire group away from the window and down the staircase, where they were safer. "We gotta get out of here," he panicked. "This is not good. This is really not good."

"I don't get it," Erica sighed heavily, hopping down the last step. "You guys have seen all that before?"

"I guess," Veronica shrugged and glanced at Steve. "Well, minus the Russians."

Dustin lifted his cap up a little, allowing air to cool down the sweat on his forehead. He was practically jittering with nerves. "All you need to know is it's bad. Like, end-of-the-human-race-as-we-know-it kind of bad."

"Then, what do we do, kid?" Veronica whispered loudly and threw up her hands. "You expect a couple of teenagers who scoop ice cream for a living to know how to fight off a pack of Russian spies? Think again!"

"Uh – Steve?"

The three spun around once Erica spoke, eyes flickering to where she was staring at the floor. There was but a tiny spot of blood next to the desk, but besides that, the area was spotless. Erica raised a brow, "Where's your Russian friend?"

Steve looked down. The unconscious man was gone.

"Fuck me gently with a chainsaw," Veronica breathed.

Alarms bounced off the walls around them. Red lights flickered above, threatening to reveal their location. Veronica looked around with wide eyes, wracking her brain on what to do, but she had no answers. Steve approached the exit to the comms room, opening it just a crack to see soldiers congregating on the other side, all wondering where the intruders had gone off to.

But then they turned. They were staring right at Steve.

He slammed the door shut. "Shit, shit, shit," he muttered, slamming his head against the hard material.

"What the fuck are we gonna do now?!" Veronica shrieked.

Steve looked over at her, taking in her distressed expression, before his eyes slid over to the darkened staircase. "Go, go, go!" He shouted, gesturing for them to run forward. Veronica didn't have to think twice about it, but still found herself taking a short second to lace her hand through Steve's, allowing him to pull her to their hopeful escape.