Chapter 6: I Have A Better Idea

Two weeks had gone by since school had first started. That means that I'd been all googly eyes over Ms. Grande for two weeks, doing my best to impress her and come off as more mature with every chance I got, although I'm not sure why.

   Today was finally the first day of soccer practice meaning I would get to impress her without even trying, seeing as she's the coach and I'm team captain. I would get to stand with her and help give out plays while giving demonstrations and playing along with my other teammates.

   Spending most of my day thinking about practice almost earned me a couple of detentions, but I managed to get by with what little charm I have.

   Waiting for the end of the day had only seemed to make the day stretch. Nobody needed this much time in a class with Mrs. Smith. Apparently she's never heard the phrase "say it don't spray it" and she's the kind of teacher that walks about the room so everyone suffers.

   It was finally 12 and time for lunch. Needless to say I was overjoyed to get to talk to Selena and Camila about their weekends. We usually all go out and do stupid things, but I wanted to make sure I was well rested for our practice today.

   After finally getting out of the math hall I had made my way up to the English hall where I usually meet Selena and Camila. Camila got out for lunch 20 minutes before us, so she always brought us lunch from somewhere and no matter how much she resisted, we always payed her back.

   I pulled my phone out of my back pocket and started texting them to let them know there was a blockage, so I might be a few minutes late. Suddenly my body collided with that of another.

    "Shit I'm sorry," I apologize as I bent over to grab the papers that had fallen. I continued to gather the work sheets until I felt a soft hand touch mine, and my face immediately went red.

   Of course, of all people I could have run into,  I walked right into Miss Grande. It's not even that I had walked into her. It's that I had cussed in front of her and momentarily held her hand.

   I looked up at her and she was, of course, smiling and blushing. I quickly handed her the papers and smiled weakly. "Sorry, Mrs-er Miss Grande." I lowered my head and bit my lip.

   "Don't stress it. Accidents happen." Once again, she smiled her perfect smile. "Oh- Don't forget about practice today after school. I am going to need you there 30 minutes early so you can help me set up everything."

   "Of course, I'd be glad to help," I smiled and looked up before realizing we were both just standing there staring at each other with everyone around us.

   "I'd better go before I'm late to lunch. I'll never hear the end of it," I laughed silently at my own joke, knowing it was true. "Oh, and maybe start holding on to your papers a little tighter?" I suggested. She nodded and we both laughed quickly as we walked away. 

   As soon as I knew I was out of her view, I walked as fast as I could to our spot.

   "Who were you flirting with?" Selena asked curiously.

   "Shut up Sel. She's a teacher. You could really get us both in a lot of trouble!" I said while slapping her arm. She stuck her tongue out at me before we began talking about our homework while waiting for Camila.

   Once Camila had finally arrived we began eating. She had brought us Taco Bell, and we paid her back before digging in.

   "Soo," I started after the only noise between us was the sound of our food wrappers. "How was your weekend."

   It was quiet for a few seconds before Camila finally opened her mouth and began telling me about how they had gone to see a movie and ended up spilling skittles everywhere.

   I laughed loudly and hid my face in my hands. "Surprised it hasn't happened before."

   "I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over your rude ass attitude," Camila said, giving me a death stare.

   "You know I love you Doll," I said sticking my tongue out at her.

   "Whatever," she breathed out, rolling her eyes as far back into her skull as they could go.

   "Anywhoo," I smiled and sat up straighter. "Today is the first day of practice."

   "We know Boo. You haven't shut up about it for the past week," Selena said before I made a face at her.

   "Just let me be happy!"

   "Leave her be Sel, she obviously cares more about soccer than she does about us."

   "Square up and fight me. Right here, right now, let's go," I said, beginning to stand up.

   "Shut up and sit your fat ass down before I knock you out," the feisty side in Camila came out. I laughed, not at all doubting that she could deck me in the face if she really wanted to.

   "Don't be such an ass Camzi," I said before huffing and settling back into my spot on the floor.

   Lunch ended and the rest of my day went by smoothly.

   It was finally time to leave my last class. "Don't forget to grab your packet and do pages 5 and 14 in the workbook," Mr. Mills instructed. He always let us out late and gave us something last minute when I had to be somewhere early.

   Lincoln High was different from most high schools in the sense that not everyone got out of class at the same time. The time your day started or ended all depended on what classes you had signed up for. Students got out from 1:30 to 3:30. The only thing that was the same for everyone was lunch.

   This meant that they couldn't start any practice right away because all of the students wouldn't be able to be there. Therefore, any practice for any team started at 4, giving everyone time to finish class and even stay after school for tutoring.

   I ran out to my car to grab my gym bag I had forgotten this morning before going to the locker room and quickly changing into a sports bra and some shorts.

   I walked into the hall before knocking lightly on the coach's door.

   "Just a second," I heard a voice call quietly.

   I waited outside the door patiently before it opened, and a smile instantly made its way on to my face.

   "Hello there beautiful," I winked. She turned away and blushed. I laughed before walking in and shutting the door behind me. "What exactly do we need to get done before practice?" I took a few steps toward her, backing her against her desk.

   "I uhh- I need help setting up the s-supplies," she tried to look away.

   "I have a better idea," I said leaning in closer.

   She looked at me and visibly gulped as my face moved into her own, only a few centimeters between us.

   "We should hydrate first," I said laughing slightly as I grabbed the water bottle from behind her on the desk. "Do you want me to refill it at the fountain?"

   As I stepped away, I saw her face turn a darker tint of red as she nodded looked down at the floor. I walked out before leaning back in the doorway and chuckling quietly. "I'll meet you in the equipment room in 3." I winked and walked off.

   We met in the room and grabbed the pit of soccer balls as well as the cones before heading out to the field and setting up.

   Practice was over before I knew it, and luckily I had been able to show off some of my cool moves.

   I smiled to myself as I walked to my car, thinking about how I had impressed her. At one point I even saw her jaw drop as I kicked the ball across the field and made it past the goalie.

   I remembered what had happened in her office and a blush settled on my face. I'm still not sure where I got the courage to do that, but I'm over joyed at her response.

   She hadn't pushed me off or gotten mad. She blushed and covered it up. She stuttered. She likes me too.