Chapter 44: Let's Go Get Married

"Don't forget, your rough drafts are due Friday. I will be taking off points if it's late. I have given you way too much time to get it done, especially with the week long extension, and you've had plenty of opportunities to ask for help. I'll be passing back your papers from the quick write last week. If I left a note, please read over it carefully. If you have any questions, raise your hand or come to my desk. Please use this time wisely. If you don't have at least half of your rough draft done, I don't want to see you socializing."

I sat bored in class, doing my best to zone out but not being able to focus on anything but the sound of her voice. Her teacher voice was authoritative but still soft and as soothing as always. I rested my head in my hand and rolled my eyes. Even when I was mad, I couldn't help but see the good in her.

I always saw my optimistic and trusting mindset as an asset, but it was really proving to be quite the opposite. I was letting her walk all over me, and she knew it and continued to do it without care.

I decided that, as much as I liked her, a relationship with her just wouldn't work. How could I be with someone who cared so little about how the things they did affected me? It wouldn't be healthy, just like whatever we had wasn't healthy.

"Good job," she mumbled as she slid me my sheet.

I didn't acknowledge her with a response, just a slight nod.

See me after class ?

The question mark was separated so far from the request. I almost thought she hadn't meant to put it.

   I decided that I didn't really have a choice, seeing as it could have something to do with my paper. I sunk down into my seat and rested my head on the back of my chair.

   She really couldn't take the hint that I didn't want to talk to her. I had ignored her message for the entire weekend after seeing her out with Justin. Was it really so hard? Did I need to put it in flashing red lights?

   I sat up straight and leaned over to the girl beside me. "Have you finished your essay?"

   She looked at me and smiled. "Have you finished yours?" Her tone was flirty, but I chose to ignore it.

I nodded and turned to face her in my desk. "What did you write yours on?"

"Gay marriage," she shot me a wink and went back to typing on her laptop.

   The shock broke from my face a few seconds later, and I laughed.

   Apparently, my laugh was a little too loud for some people. "Miss Y/L/N, some people are trying to work."

   I nodded and held in another laugh. The girl I had been speaking with tapped my foot with her own, getting my attention. I looked up to see her holding back her own laugh. She nodded toward her laptop and then towards mine.

   I got the hint and opened my google doc to see that she had already shared a document with me.

   We chatted through the shared document for the rest of class, occasionally earning dirty looks from our classmates when we failed to hold in our laughter.

   Class ended quickly with everyone packing their bags and making their way out of the room, leaving me alone with Miss Grande.

"Thank you for staying after."

"I didn't have much of a choice." I rolled my eyes and sat myself on the top of my desk.

"Did you get my text?"

"Yes, and I chose to ignore it."

"Oh, well-" I immediately cut her off.

"Is this what you wanted me to stay after to talk about?"

"Yes and-"

"Why?"

She looked taken back. After a moment of hesitation, she spoke, "Why what?"

"Why are you doing this?"

"I-I want you."

"That's it? You want me, and because this great title of 'Wanted by Miss Grande' has been awarded to me, I'm supposed to let you walk all over me and use me?"

"It's not like that!"

"Then what is it like? Please, enlighten me."

"I want you. That much should be clear by now, despite the constant turns my attitude and attention may take. I have realized that I've been abusing the power you gave me. You told me how you felt and respected everything I asked of you, but I never made my intentions clear. I do want to be with you, but I'm scared." She stopped and actually met my eyes.

"I thought we had gotten past that," I said with slight sarcasm.

   She paused and just looked at me , trying to see if I was joking. "Are you serious?"

   "Serious about what?"

   "I'm trying to apologize."

   "No offense, but you're not doing a good job. You're regurgitating everything I yelled at you, and nothing along the lines of 'sorry' has left your mouth. I don't understand what I'm supposed to do with what you've said."

   She sighed. "You're right. I'm sorry."

   "Okay."

   "Okay?"

   "What do you want me to say? 'Oh, it's completely fine that you dragged me along, took advantage of my feelings, and then acted like I didn't exist as soon as you found someone else. Your apology, that I basically forced out of you, fixes everything. Let's go get married.' Honestly, I'm over it Ariana. I have a class to get to." I stood and slung my bag over my shoulder, beginning to walk out of the room.

   "Y/n, wait!"

   I turned around, a plain expression on my face.

   "I broke it off with Justin- Mister Bieber."

   "Good for you." I turned and continued on my way out.

   She grabbed my wrist, forcing me to face her again. I shot her the dirtiest look I could muster, making her let go and back away.

   "I'll see you at practice."

   "Yeah... see you there," I heard her mumble as the door closed behind me.