Chapter 31: I Like What I Like

Trent ended up dropping me off after school had ended. Practice didn't start for a while, but I always had to be there early to help set up.

Saying I was anxious to see her again was an understatement. I was hoping that she wouldn't ignore me completely or that she would at least talk to me, but when it came down to her, I never knew what to expect. She was either coming onto me sexually, being extremely sweet and gentle, or ignoring me completely. I was starting to find that there was rarely an in-between. 

   "I'll walk you in," Trent smiled and leaped out of the car.

   "Thanks, but I'm not sure that's the best idea..."

   "Oh, right. Um, I can walk you to the door then?" he offered.

   I smiled and nodded. "That'd be great."

   "Leave your stuff in the car. I'll pick you up since I dropped you off."

   Good thing you remembered that because I sure as hell didn't.

   "Let's go," he sang, gently tugging on my arm.

   "You're in too good of a mood."

   "You should be in a good mood too! You get to go spend the next two hours or so with Miss Sexy Pants."

   "Oh haha. Aren't you just the funniest. I get to go help her while she ignores me and then probably sends me off to do drills with the rest of the team."

   "Well, it can't be that bad."

   "Glad one of us has our hopes set high."

   "Well, this is your stop."

   "Thanks mister bus driver."

   "You're not funny."

   "I'm not in the right mindset, if you haven't noticed."

"You'll be fine, don't worry too much. Whatever happens will happen. Don't pressure anything, and don't push her."

I nodded and leaned in for a hug.

"I'll see you after practice."

"Bye," I smiled and walked in.

As I opened the gym door, I walked directly into something, or rather, someone.

I really need to start paying more attention to where I'm going.

"Oh, shit, sorry!" I looked up to see a semi familiar face. "Jason, right?"

"Yeah," he smiled. "Y/n, how are you."

"I've been pretty good. I thought you moved away though, before freshmen year?"

He nodded and smiled. "Uh, yeah. We just moved back last week. Dad got promoted to head engineer down at the chem plant."

"Oh that's amazing!! How have you been? How was New Jersey?"

"It was... different," he laughed. "But I've been pretty good. It was nice to see you, but I've got to get home and finish unpacking."

"Yeah, of course. It was really nice to see you too. I'll see you around."

We smiled at each other before going our separate ways.

Jason and I had gone to school together since we were young but never got close or really even kept in contact other than us following each other on instagram.

He looked like he had grown more confident in himself and his sexuality, guessing from the little pride bracelet he had on his wrist.

Seeing him again was nice and a very needed distraction to ease my anxiety.

I went to the locker room and quickly changed into my practice clothes before heading to Ariana's office.

"Hey coach," I forced a smile.

She looked up from her papers and nodded at me before busying herself again.

So far, not so good.

   After me standing in her office awkwardly for a few minutes, she sighed and stood up. She made her way out to the equipment closet and unlocked it.

   "We're setting up in the gym today. It's supposed to rain."

   I nodded and grabbed the goals and pit of soccer balls, wheeling them out to the gym floor.

   I went back to collect cones, ending up in step with Ariana.

   "So, you and Jason huh?"

   "Uhh, yeah. He's an old friend." I smiled, glad that she was at least attempting conversation. "We went to school together until freshmen year. He's kind of the reason I came out." I was about to question how she even saw us, but she cut me off.

   She smiled. "Care to tell?"

   Her voice sounded flirty. I watched her make a face, probably scolding herself, but I didn't let it wipe the smile off of my face.

   "Some asswipe was making fun of him when he was telling his friends about a boy he liked. I said something, and everybody else supported us. The little snot face left him alone."

   She smiled and nodded. "That's good to hear. Not that it's any of my business, but what's your sexuality? You don't have to answer."

"I'm bi. I like guys, girls, and anything in-between. It's something I'm comfortable and confident in, so I don't really mind answering questions like that."

She nodded and smiled.

"What about you?"

"I think labels are unnecessary. I like what I like."

"Seems as though you like me," I attempted to flirt.

She blushed momentarily but quickly recovered. "You're a good student and a good captain."

"Thanks," I mumbled awkwardly, trying not to show that her blatant objection hurt.

"I think we should finish setting up. The girls will be in soon."

There was minimal conversation between the two of us for the rest of practice. It wasn't necessarily an awkward or uncomfortable silence, but I still felt as though my comment had been overstepping boundaries.

   She told me that I could leave with everybody else and that she would clean up on her own. I insisted against it until she threaten to kick me off of the team if I didn't go. I assumed she was only playing, but I didn't want to test her. With her, you never really knew.

   By the time I was in the locker room, most of the other girls had left, meaning the showers were open. I quickly jumped in, just long enough to clean the sweat off of me, before changing and heading out.

   I saw Trent by the door and happily made my way to him. He stood as he saw me and smiled brightly, taking my hand into his own to lead me back to his car. The door opened and closed behind us. Good, now we have somebody to put on a show for. I leaned in closer to his arm. He poked my side, forcing a laugh out of me.

   "Y/N?"

   Of course. Worse on top of worse. That voice. It occurs to me that this is the first time we've run into each other. We haven't spoken, through text or otherwise, since I told him that I happen to attend the school he now works at.

Universe, can I please just catch a break?

   Walk away and act like you didn't hear anything.

   "Hey, y/n, wait up."

   "Hey Mister Bieber," Trent spoke up from beside me.

   Fuck.
———
Tomorrow I'm posting the next chapter, which will be a brand new chapter, and I will be switching to weekly updates! To keep posted with all things pertaining to any of my books, please check my conversation board thingy. I ask big questions there (like the decision to update everyday for this past week), and I posted a very important question recently that you should check out!👀