Chapter 51: Trent

*Trent's POV*

Y/n had told me about everything between her and her coach, and it was an interesting situation to say the least.

When I first saw them kissing, it completely caught me off guard. At first I thought it was weird, but I knew it wasn't my place to do anything about it. Y/n was her own person who was more than capable of making her own choices, and I trusted her judgement. She wasn't one to do things without thinking them through. If she thought this was what was best for her, who was I to get in the way of her happiness?

   Things started to make more sense. The way that she suddenly became uninterested in me, which was honestly best for both of us, and why she agreed to be my fake girlfriend so quickly, it was all a direct result of her dealing with her relationship with Miss Grande.

   Even if it wasn't planned, which liking someone rarely is, I figured it was something genuine. Who would risk so much just for fun? I knew more than anyone that feelings always catch you out of nowhere. Sometimes acting on them is the only way to make them go away... or to make them grow.

   Obviously I couldn't just assume that they were dating, so I had to causally bring it up. I had invited her out for breakfast and confronted her about it. I did it for 2 reasons: I wanted her to know that she always had someone, and I wanted to see if she got the little glow everybody gets when they talk about things that make them happy.

   Sure enough, her smile took up her whole face as she explained it all to me. I watched her whole body rise up from the slumped over position she had just been in. She was doing so much more than glowing, she was floating and radiating happiness. As her friend, it was my job to make sure she stayed that way. I let her know I would support her through it.

   Eventually, I told her about what had happened in my past. She offered me the same support and showed that she understood. She got where I was coming from with my support and understood my reasons behind wanting to stay single for a while.

   I stood by her side as Ariana attempted to deal with her reality. She had been the one to get with a student. Her position of power was unfair because she used it against Y/n, regardless of if it was done purposely or not. It wasn't fair for her to keep one foot in and one foot out.

   By the New Year's Eve party, Ariana had apparently come to her sense, and Y/n forgave her. I was happy that Y/n was able to get past her grudge, but it didn't make me magically like Ariana. However, I had my own things to deal with.

While standing by the snack bar, watching my friend from afar, I was approached by Sidney. I heard her say a small 'hello', and my entire body froze up.

I attempted to act like I was unbothered by what she had done to me, tiptoeing around the obvious until she brought it up.

Her husband ended up getting a job at the company. It saddened me to hear that they did end up together, knowing that I was only something temporary for her. At the same time, I was really glad that she got the happily ever after she always dreamed about.

   As though she sensed the shift, she apologized to me. How she had gone about things wasn't the best or the most mature choice-her words, not mine- but it was easier at the time. I forgave her because all of what I went through helped me to grow as a person.

   She briefly met Ariana and Y/n. She quickly caught on to the tension between the three of us as well as the connection between Y/n and myself. When the pair left, she told me how lucky I was to have someone like Y/n in my life, though she admitted she wasn't sure what Ariana had to do with our mix. I didn't tell her.

   She noted that Y/n was someone special, and I agreed. Although Sidney was definitely under the impression that we were dating, I didn't bother to correct her. She told me that Y/n was perfect for me.

   She was right, but not in the way she thought. Y/n was the perfect person to have in my life. She was smart, funny, sensible, and still just off the hinges enough to be weird. She kept me from being my boring self and helped me remember that I could be my own person. I could be whoever I wanted to be.

   She said she liked the impact Y/n seemed to have on me. Someone so full of life and joy and beauty, so much to offer.

   She told me not to ever let her go, and I promised that I wouldn't.