The Truth Always Comes Out

Trigger warning: homophobic slurs and homophobia in general.

LAUREN'S POV:

I watch as the brunette skips away happily, her arms swinging by her sides. I can't help the smile that grows on my face.

God, I'm screwed.

Placing my hand on the doorknob to walk into my house, I cast her one last glance. She's so beautiful. I'm about to turn the knob when the door swings open and I stumble forward.

"Get your ass in here."

My eyes widen and dart up to meet my mother's. Michael, my dad, stands near her side, his arms crossed and features disappointed.

I slowly step in, eyeing both my parents. I keep distance between us, hugging myself for protection. Did they see anything?

"Yeah?" I ask, my voice shaking. Rage is burning in my mother's eyes, but her tone is so calm.

"I'm going to ask you a question and you're going to answer honestly. Alright?" Clara, my mom, tells me.

I nod rapidly, taking a step back. "Okay."

"That girl out there," Mom gestures to the window and door. My eyes widen into saucers. "what is she to you?"

"A-a friend." I stutter, cursing myself for being so vulnerable and stupid. God, how could I have been so risky?

"Yeah, uh huh. And do we kiss our friends?"

My blood runs cold.

"I-I di-didn't—" I back away into the corner but they follow me, their eyes judgmental.

"Don't lie to your mother!" Mom shouts, raising her hand. I'm about to talk again when I feel her hand slap my cheek, pain shooting through my face.

I wince, grabbing my cheek with both my hands. She snatches my wrist, yanking it away from my face and pulling me close to her.

"Look me in the eyes." She growls, her eyes glowering. I'd rather not but she tightens her grip so I raise my eyes to her's.

"Y-yes, Mama." I squeak. I feel tears burn in my eyes.

"Are you gay?" She says it with such disgust and venom, I feel my knees go weak.

I don't respond. I even drop my eyes to the floor. I can feel my body trembling. My breathing is swallow and quick. I can't.

Everything I've pushed down and suppressed is being dug up and I feel like my heart is going to explode. I can't think straight, fear is throbbing in my mind.

They can't know. They can't find out. Breathing comes in rapidly and I close my eyes. Wrong. I'm wrong. This is wrong. Camila's soft eyes flash in my mind and my pulse dwindles. How is that wrong?

"Answer your mother, Lauren." Dad warns, his tone weary yet irritated. He shakes me out of my state of being somewhat okay. It all comes crashing down again.

Biting my bottom lip, I let out a sob when she digs her nails into my skin.

Mom scoffs and rolls her eyes, looking to Dad. "She's not going to answer. She's clearly a dyke; worthless. Kissed that pathetic girl outsi—"

"She's not pathetic." I murmur, anger simmering in my veins. I wanted the words to come out as more of a bellow but it turns out like a croak.

"What?" Mom looks flabbergasted, letting her jaw gape to mock me. "What did you say?"

"Camila is not pathetic!" I shout, squirming in her arms. Mom can make me feel like crap but she will not mess with Camila. No one messes with Camila.