What Happened In The Past

"I still think it's so cool that you're living with Ally." I coo to Lauren as we walk to first period. She has her arm wrapped around my shoulders and I'm leaning into her side.

"I think it's so cool that you came out to your dad." Lauren gushes, planting a kiss to my temple. I smile at the warm gesture. "He's cool with me, right?"

I laugh, nodding. "Yes, he loves you—I told you. You have nothing to worry about. Patricia is cool with me, too, right?"

"I mean, yeah. We talked about you for a bit." Lauren shrugs, her cheeks suddenly flushing red.

"Aww, only good things?"

"Only the best things for my Camz." Lauren hums softly, her gaze adorning and her words affection.

My heart skips a beat and I grin foolishly. We enter English class, earning the looks of many classmates.

One of them being Lucy.

Her features go from affection and joyous to slack and colorless. Her eyes train themselves on Lauren, emotion—mostly negative—brewing in them.

Lauren lets me go at my seat. "Do you know if the homework in science is due today?" She hums before leaving.

"Uh, yes. I think so." I respond, racking my brain.

"Okay, I'll just finish it during notes and say that I did it last night." She kisses my cheek before turning to head to her seat.

"Always a liar, I see." Lucy grumbles, mostly to herself but says it loud enough that Lauren hears her. She turns around.

"I'm not—" Lauren stumbles out, furrowing her eyebrows at Lucy with confusion and hurt.

"Save it." Lucy frowns, meeting Lauren's eyes. "We all know the truth."

It seems almost as if Lauren has to spit out her name, "L-Lucy, I'm—"

"I don't care anymore, Lauren." Lucy growls, making Lauren's features drop. "Nothing you say matters; it will never matter."

"It used to." Lauren snaps back, hesitation basking in her words.

"If it really did, you would've have lied!" Lucy shouts, angry and hurt mixing together to make a hell of a pain.

"I didn't have a choice!" Lauren yells back. By now, everyone is staring and I'm starting to think this has less to do with science homework and more something else festering in the past.

"You always had a choice, Lauren! Don't even place this on me! It was you!" Lucy points her finger at Lauren accusingly.

"Don't put it on me, either." Lauren doesn't yell this time, she just sighs. "It hurt both of us."

"I bet that's just another one of your lies." Lucy seethes, scowling. "You said you cared!"

"I did!" Lauren pleads, frowning. She doesn't want to fight, she doesn't want to yell. I can see it in her eyes.

"Not anymore." Lucy says with no emotion whatsoever. She looks at me, affection in her eyes. Lauren sees this and her eyes go wide.

"You're right," Lauren replies slowly, kissing my cheek and smiling at me. "I've moved on."

"Camila," Lucy says, turning to me. "You can't trust her. She lies. She says she'll give you all of her but she won't and she'll say she cares but she doesn't. And she'll pick you up just to throw you down."

I see tears in Lauren's eyes and she lets go of my hand without saying anything and sits in her seat right as the bell rings.

Hesitantly, I sit down by Lucy. She has her face in her hands and she's breathing shallowly. I rub her back soothingly.