Paradise

"So," Alejandro leans against the kitchen counter, looking into the living room. "Are you going to let me meet this Lauren?"

"Dad!" I complain, smiling nevertheless and curling into the couch harder. "Please don't embarrass me. She'll be here soon."

"Fine, fine." Alejandro laughs teasingly, moseying out into the living room. "I won't embarrass you. But I would like to have a few words with this Lauren."

"You know her, Dad! But alright." I oblige reluctantly. "As long as they aren't too mean. Don't scare her off."

"Don't worry about a thing, kiddo." Alejandro beams, snapping his fingers like guns at me.

"Okay..." I drawl, not convinced. "I'm going to go upstairs and put on some different clothes. If she knocks, tell her I'm almost ready."

"You got it, mija!"

I run upstairs and pull out the outfit I picked out with minimal help from Dinah over FaceTime.

After putting it on, I step back to admire the look. It's some black ripped jeans and a floral shirt that cuts off a few inches above my waist and droops around my arms but reveals my shoulders.

Dinah instructed me on how to curl a few strands of hair to bring out the natural curls so I did that. I just stuck to light makeup, ignoring everything Dinah said from there on out.

I walk downstairs and check my phone for a text from Lauren. She said she would pick me up around seven and it just hit seven on the dot. I'm getting nervous.

"Karla Camila Cabello Estrabao," Alejandro's stern voice snaps me from my thoughts and startles me. "What are you wearing?"

"Clothes?" I shrug sheepishly, shoving my phone away.

"Good. Keep them on." Alejandro winks at me and I blush and roll my eyes. "That's the rule. Have a good night out with Lauren."

I smile at my approving and proud father. "I will." Suddenly, someone knocks on the door.

Alejandro smirks knowingly and picks up his tea cup, takes a sip, and sits on the couch.

I slip my shoes on and open the door. Lauren stands on the step, her green eyes immediately meeting mine. Shivers run down my spine.

"Camz," a smile erupts on her lips, her eyes sparkling happily.

"Hi, Lo." I grin, trying to step out the door before my dad can catch up to us but he is already right beside me.

"Hey! Our Camila has to step out for a bit so why don't we talk for a second?" Alejandro says innocently and Lauren's eyes widen.

"U-uh, okay." Lauren hums nervously, glancing at me with concern and fear. I smile softly and kiss her cheek before they walk inside. I stand out by the door until they come back out, which takes a few minutes too long.

Lauren comes out and she looks timid and nervous. I hear my dad call from inside, "have fun!"

She immediately slings her arm around my shoulders and we start walking down the street.

"What did he say to you?" I ask, looking over to her.

"Told me not to hurt you or else he'd dig me into the ground with a shined shovel—which I respect. He also said that there is leftover pasta in the fridge if I needed some at home." Lauren explains.

"Oh. Don't be scared. He wouldn't do that." I assure her, fiddling with her fingers. I allow myself to check her out since we are no longer under the gaze of my father. She's wearing a short red dress and tall black boots. Her hair is curled tightly and she's wearing light makeup.