4. Nathan

Nathan

It was Monday. I quickly took a shower and put my clothes on, I put the papers in my backpack and basically ran out of the dorm, I had called my supervisor telling him I have chosen my subject, he told me to write a review about it and bring it to him as soon as possible. As soon as I went to my supervisor's office, he started reading them, he was reading the papers with his right brow raised, wearing a blank expression on his face, I swallowed the lump in my throat nervously, and waited patiently for him to finish. I didn't like to drag things very long, but I also didn't want to leave a reader confused and without any understanding about what I've written. So, I've written two thousand words. My supervisor, Dr. William Harper, looked up from the papers as he finished them and sighed. He stared at me for a while and removed his glasses, holding them in his hands.

Doctor Harper was basically one of my favorite professors at the University of Florida, he was one of the best, not just because he was smart, he was so opposite of the dentist who extracted my tooth without anesthesia when I was a child. I love my parents very much, but Dr. Harper is like another fatherly image for me. So his opinion on the subject I've chosen and his decisions and thoughts really mattered to me.

"This is great, Nathaniel!" Dr. Harper finally said, I smiled to myself and sighed in relief.

"Thank you!" I said smiling warmly at my role model, Dr. Harper smiled back at me and put the papers on top of many other papers on his desk.

"I like to keep those papers, don't forget to update me on your progress weakly, and you know where to find me if you need me." He said. Putting his glasses in his pockets, he opened one of the drawers of his large desk, and pulled out something I didn't quite see. Then he walked towards me and handed me a key, I stared at the key for a while, before reaching out to it and taking it from his hands.

"What's ... this?" I asked, looking at the small key in my hands.

"It's the laboratory's key, make sure you use the lab and the materials well while I'm away." Dr. Harper answered, smiling at my shocked face. I didn't know what shocked me more, him going somewhere?( Because I freaking needed him at that point of my research, especially when my subject was very hard), or him giving me his key to the university's lab?

"You deserve more than this, I wish I could stay and help you out in other ways, but I have other business to attend to, I'm sorry." He said.

Shaking my head I said, "This is more than enough, thank you very much!"

"You're welcome, son. You know you're my favorite student. Not because you're smart, but because you're a human, unlike others." He smiled and patted me on my shoulder, I grinned at him and put the key in my backpack, so I don't lose it.

"Just make sure you lock the door, we don't want you to get into trouble." He said, I nodded my head and assured him I'll take care of the lab.

I grabbed my backpack and opened the door of Dr. Harper's office, when he suddenly called my name.

"And Nathaniel?"

I turned around holding the door's handle " Yes?"

"Good luck!" He said. I smiled and went out of his office, sighing happily. This will be good, I will make a great graduation research. With these thoughts on my mind, I went to the classes of the day, and was even more motivated than before.

Today is my lucky day, I thought.

And it was, I used the lab after Dr. Harper flied to Los Angeles, for whatever business he had, and I was taking very good care of it. I locked it whenever I finished my job. And took good care of the instruments and materials in it. I broke two test tubes actually, but I bought new ones and put them back in their place, I had to be more careful I guess. It wasn't my fault actually, the heat broke the cold test tubes into pieces, but since I had promised I'll use the lab with care, it was only appropriate to buy them myself. I was doing good with the research too. I had sent the finished parts and my lab results to Dr. Harper via email. And he was very happy with it. Which was good news for me.