19. Jessie

Jessie

"I'm really sorry..." Sam said, and sighed. My eyes widened as I heard him say what he said. Did he really apologize?

"Um... what?" I asked, frowning when I saw Sam's expressions. He looked worried, sad, guilty, but most of all he looked hurt.

"I'm sorry for judging you," He said "I thought Emma has told you and Rachel about us."

"No, She hasn't." I mumbled, and bit my lower lip in surprise.

"I didn't think she's the type who will keep it secret." Sam frowned, maybe not liking the idea of Emma keeping him a secret from other people, or maybe I just imagined it. "Since girls talk about their personal life with their friends, as much as guys do."

"She hasn't told any of us about her relationship with you," I explained, "I tried to explain to you, but you just wouldn't listen."

"I'm really sorry about that. I'm sorry for everything." He said, his eyes had softened, and his voice calm.

"It's okay, I forgive you." I said and smiled. My father always tells me to forgive but to not forget what has happened to us. Also Sam's problem is just a misunderstanding, not a big deal.

"You do?" Sam asked in surprise.

"Yeah, why not?" I said, my smile widening.

"Thank you Jessie." Sam said, and smiled back. "You're a very kind person. I misunderstood you, and judged you way too quickly."

"It's alright Sam. Mistakes happen." I said. Feeling happier now that I and Sam talked about this stupid misunderstanding, but my smile dropped when I remembered Emma lying to us.

"What is it?" Sam stared at me expectantly. "You look like you want to tell me something."

"I... Actually, Emma told us she doesn't like you at all," I admitted, "That's why, a relationship between you guys never crossed my mind."

"I understand. Nathan told me." Sam said with a smile.

"Nathan told you?!" I asked, feeling very surprised that Nathan told Sam about anything involving me, "What did he say?" Nathan doesn't like to talk about people, especially behind their backs. He doesn't like to interfere in people's business, him telling Sam about that, might have had a good reason.

"He told me about what you just said." Sam said, smiling sadly "Also he talked about all the trouble and pain you were in because of me. I'm really sorry."

"Sam, it's all over. I'm feeling much better now." I said, and patted his shoulder.

"I'm glad. Um... actually if Emma was not my girlfriend, I would have dated you." Sam mumbled.

"Oh. it's alright" I said stupidly , my cheeks flushing, and my forehead seemed sweaty, so I grabbed a Kleenex from my purse and wiped my forehead with it.

"You're a very nice girl." Sam continued "I was surprised when you asked me out, I think guys are stupid for not seeing a girl like you."

"You don't have to pity me, Sam." I heard myself say, Sam's expression changed from calm to hurt, but I didn't take what I said back, because it was the truth. "I liked you, and I still do. If Emma wasn't your girlfriend, I would have done anything to make you like me, because it's not any other guy I want, it's you whom I want"

"I... don't know what to say." Sam muttered.

"You don't have to say anything." I declared, and smiled. "We'll be friends from now on, for sake of Emma."

"Thank you, Jessie." Sam smiled back, and he looked like he meant it, it seemed like the old Sam was back, and I was very glad for that. If I didn't have him as my boyfriend, then having him as my friend would not have be a bad idea.

"You're very welcome." I said. Grinning from ear to ear. I had a feeling everything was going to be okay. I had no doubt about it.

"Shall we go out? I think it's time for Nathan to cut the cake." Sam suggested.

"Yeah, let's go." I nodded my head. Together we walked back towards the large luxurious hall. Like Sam said it was time for Nathan to cut the cake. So a few banquet servers were holding a very large cake, and they together put it on a table.

I and Sam were sitting side by side, but I saw Rachel and decided to go stand by her, I already lived many embarrassing moments with Sam. I think it was time to leave him alone with Emma. Nathan, Dave, Rachel, me, Rachel's parents and a few other close friends of Nathan, we were surrounding the cake, we sung happy birthday to him, then he closed his eyes to make a wish, and blew out the candle which was in the shape of twenty five.

We all clapped, and soon the music was back again. The others started dancing again, while Nathan had a large knife in his hand, and he was cutting the cake, the banquet servers told him it's their job, but Nathan shrugged and continued cutting the cake into equal parts to everyone. Rachel helped him hand each person their part, and we were all enjoying the nice taste of the cake. Half of the cake has remained. But they left it where it was, just in case some people wanted to eat more of it.

Rachel was finally dancing with Nathan. Dave was dancing alone. Sam was standing at the other side of the hall, opposite of me, very far away. He was smiling at me now and then. So I was left alone. But I actually didn't mind it. I finished the first part, and was enjoying the music and the party. When suddenly I felt someone beside me. I turned around and saw Emma, glaring at me while gritting her teeth together. I frowned and stared at her for a while. What's wrong with her?

"Emma? What's wrong?" I asked, feeling worried and anxious.

"You!" She exclaimed. "You bitch."

I stood there, staring at her. I was frozen in my place, and didn't know what she was talking about.

"You want to steal my boyfriend." Emma mumbled, in a scary voice I have never heard from her.

"N-no." I stuttered, and shook my head. Where did she get that?

I was about to talk to her, and put some sense into her mind. But it was too late, she slapped me right there, in front of everyone, and pulled my hair.