44. Nathan

Nathan

I was feeling extremely .Here I was in my Armani suit, again, greeting and meeting important people (who were so very non-important to me), drinking expensive wine and staring at rich and elegant looking people. Not being able to even check my phone and emails.
My mother was constantly calling me to meet new people and she was glaring at me when I was scowling and looking bored. Then she disappeared because  the show was about to start in thirty minutes.

Dave couldn't come, he said something about meeting old friends. So I was staring at the crowd of people, looking for anyone I knew to distract me and take me away from these boring people, whose goals were nothing but drinking luxurious alcohol and wearing wealthy clothes. 

I felt my phone vibrate for the hundredth time that day, I took it out of my pocket and stared at all the missed calls I got, my jaw literally dropped to the floor, when I saw twenty seven missed calls from Dr. Harper and five missed calls from the Dean.

Suddenly I got another call from Dr. Harper, I quickly looked around to check that I'm out of earshot. I slid the green button to the right and put my phone close to my ear " Hello!" I said when I was sure that it's safe to talk.

"Hello, son!" My favorite professor answered, his calm voice sending a wave of relief through all my body.

"I-I was waiting for your call since god knows when, professor." I stuttered, my voice suddenly becoming shaky, and my knees weak, the wave of relief I mentioned earlier suddenly disappeared when I remembered the reason he's calling me.

"I'm afraid things are not going well, son," Dr. Harper said, his voice suddenly sounding urgent and worried.

"What do you mean?" I asked, swallowing the lump in my throat.

Please let it not be what I think it is.

"We haven't found who has stolen the dental filling materials yet and the Dean suggests to extend your vacation time for a little-"

"What do you mean... extend my vacation?" I interrupted, feeling sick from worry. 

"You know what I mean son..."Dr. Harper's voice trailed off.

"Until when?" I asked, running my hands through my hair and pacing back and forth, not caring about the people around me anymore. 

"Two more months..." He said and cleared his throat.

"Two- Oh god, no! Two more months! What about my research? What will happen to it?" I asked, feeling exasperated. Furious. Irritated. Maddened. Infuriated... I should probably ask Jessie for more synonyms. I thought to myself.

"I know, son. I know how you feel. I'll try my best to get you out of that mess." Dr. Harper said, in a genuine and sincere way.

"Okay..." I said and licked my dry lips.

"There's something else you should be worried about now," He said in a lower yet gentler voice.

"What is that?" I asked, my pulse quickened, my heart beat more furiously.

"It was not wise of you to not tell your parents. I called them five minutes ago, I had no idea that you haven't told them, Nathaniel. So I talked without realizing what I'm doing," Dr Harper said, feeling indifferent and not sorry at all for spilling my secret to my parents. 

I mentally face palmed myself and stared at where Dad was standing, talking with a few men, smiling. But... his smile didn't reach his eyes.
I was so depressed that I wasn't listening to what Dr. Harper was saying for the next few minutes. I kept staring at Dad.

Is it just me, or he has gotten older?

".... It's for you to fix." 

I blinked and looked away from Dad.

"Sorry. what were you saying?" I asked, my voice low, and my heart very heavy.

"I said: I'll see what I can do for you in Florida, but your problems with your parents is for you to fix." He said.

I nodded " Yeah. You're right."

We both bid our goodbyes and hung up. I couldn't face my parents then, so I walked out of the packed hall, and went straight to the garden.

I sat among the flowers, burying my face in my hands  and thinking.