72. Nathan

Nathan

At some point in life, we have all been thinking about running away from life. From the problems we have, the people who we see and talk to everyday... We kind of get tired of the same routine and maybe we'll want to change it, or perhaps we have a problem in life which we can't solve, or it could just be that the solution is not in our hands, and we can't actually force it to be solved, so during these times running away may seem like the best option. And it sometimes is. Have you ever wanted to run away from all the troubles you have and all the people around you and you've just wanted to live far away in an island, alone? Or just somewhere you know nobody's going to know you or care about you or judge you? Well that's how I was feeling. I wanted a new beginning, to start my life again from scratch, to go live in an island alone and read books or watch movies all day, every day. Perhaps look at the stars at night, the chirping of the birds and how they fly from one branch of a tree to another, and listen to the flowing river trickling. Probably that calming environment will make me forget about reality and instead wonder about the stars, the birds and the river.

Flying back to Florida may not seem like the best fleeing, and there may not be any birds and stars to wonder about, but at least getting busy with my research might get my mind off of something. You know, using your negative energy and thoughts for positive purposes might be a good idea.

Speaking of good ideas, I went to Jessie's apartment, to pack my clothes and stuff. Being cautious to not leave a single thing which belonged to me that might harm Jessie in any way. I didn't want to leave any memory of me here in this place. She had been through a lot, and she's already going through a lot with her family problems and all those mysteries she's found out lately might be too overwhelming for her to take it. Especially at her condition, I shook my head and grabbed the last piece of cloth in the closet and started folding it.

I heard the front door open and my heartbeat increased a hundred times, worried that it might be Jessie and she sees me, and worried if she sees me she'll get hurt more. I took a deep breath and peeked through the door which I hadn't bothered to lock earlier, but thankfully instead of seeing Jessie, I saw Rachel taking off her boots.

I slowly opened the door as I relaxed a little bit, Rachel stared at me and frowned when she saw the folded sweater in my hands.

"Hey!" I said slowly.

"Hey! What are you doing?" She asked and walked past me to my room.

"I'm packing." I replied and put the sweater over my already folded clothes in the luggage.

"Packing?" Rachel asked, as if she didn't hear me the first time I said it.

"Yes, packing." I replied and zipped the luggage then I stared at my watch to check the time, it was two and a half in the evening.

"Why are you packing?" Rachel asked and stood in front of me, her arms folded, I stared at her, not believing that she's actually asking me that question.

"I'm leaving." I said, and shook my head, grabbing the luggage with some difficulty and started dragging it out of the room. The room which was mine for a month.

Rachel followed me quickly and stopped me in front of the door to my room.

"Leaving?" She asked, but it was more of a statement. It was as if she didn't want me to leave.

"Yes. Rach. I'm leaving, I'm going back to Florida." I answered, feeling irritated, my heart beating faster.

"I know that, you idiot!" Rachel yelled, taking me by surprise, then she continued in a calmer voice, "Just because Jessie said you have to leave the apartment doesn't mean that you actually have to go back to Florida, you know!"