50. Nathan

Nathan

I don't know how I got away from Holly, but making Jessie an excuse to get away from her was the only idea on my mind at that moment. I know it was cowardly and stupid, but I had no other choice. Jessie's smile was enough to make me relax and also make me forget (almost) about what just happened. I kept staring at Jessie as she smiled, she had her arms around my neck as I had my arms around her waist pulling her a little bit closer to me so that she doesn't fall.

We danced to the slow music, Jessie was embarrassed at first to see that we were the only couple dancing, then her smile widened when other people imitated us and started dancing with their partners. Jessie's smile was the only thing preventing me from leaving this shitty place and never looking back. It made me feel just a little bit better to know that at least I've made her happy.

I could feel Rachel's eyes on us from far across the hall, but I ignored her curious stares and looked away. I saw Holly out of the corner of my eyes, which made me kind of mad at everything, everyone, even at myself. But I was especially at Jessie.

"Jessie, why are you so calm?" I whispered. Breathing deep, in and out to control my anger.

Jessie frowned as she bit her lips and tried to not meet my gaze. "What... do you mean?"

"You know exactly what I mean." I whisper yelled. "Why aren't you asking questions? Why aren't you feeling jealous?"

"Why... should I be?" Jessie asked looking puzzled. I groaned in frustration mentally, but kept a straight face.

"Are you kidding me?" I asked.

"Umm... no?" Jessie said, seeming unsure.

"I'm talking about Holly, Jess." I gritted my teeth and said in a lower tone: "Why are you not glaring at her? Why aren't you asking me questions about her like any other normal girlfriend?"

"Sorry..." Jessie said, bending her neck to the side.

"Sorry? For God's sake Jess. Why are you apologizing?" I exclaimed. A few dancing couples looked our way. So I smiled at them apologetically.

"Okay, sorry. I won't apologize again."

Seriously?!

"Jess!"

"Sorry-"

This girl will drive me nuts!

"Jess!"

"Okay okay." She said after clearing her throat.

"I thought girls are ... jealous of their boyfriends?" I finally said. "Am I not your boyfriend? Why are you never fighting for your rights Jessie?"

"Oh... well... yeah.. ummm... I am. But... I didn't know how I should have reacted." She stuttered and mumbled" it wasn't like you were cheating on me. Plus... I'm not sure if we're serious or not."

"What does serious mean?" I asked, glaring at her.

"Serious about this relationship thing..." She muttered.

"I know silly. My point is... how is  a serious relationship?" I asked and groaned mentally.

"Oh! Well if we're serious then we should hang out more, know each other's secrets and be a happy couple and all that." She answered.

"And?"

"And umm... we should love each other?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat.

"True. And?"

"And... I should be jealous?"

Typical girls.

"Both of us should be jealous. And?"

"And... oh... we are dating each other only. No other girl or guy should be involved."

Not that I have a crush on any girl.

"Good girl! Because you're my girlfriend and I'm your boyfriend. Got it?"

"Got it."

"What's the matter?"

"I'm not used to this."

"To what?"

"Umm... you being my boyfriend..."

"Well get used to it, because I am."

Jessie smiled. An actual genuine smile. Making all the walls I've built so far over this last year crumble down. Making me enjoy being her boyfriend just for a little bit of time.