43. Jessie

Jessie

I had a sleepless night. I tossed and turned in bed, but it was just impossible to fall asleep. Part of it was because I had lost interest in sleeping, which was weird, another part was because of the previous night. The moment I closed the door of my bedroom I remembered what fight Nathan was talking about. I can't believe I wasn't able to remember it.

Why on earth did I not remember it?!

I was affected by it so much. They say people are going to remember the things which hurt them, more than the things that make them happy. So technically, I was supposed to remember it. But I couldn't, I didn't even remember that I had actually had my second date with Nathan or that I met with Harry afterwards, accidentally.

Could it be that I was so hurt by it, that my subconscious didn't want me to remember?

But then... the moment I closed the door of my bedroom, all of the incidents and the details of the fight came back to me.

Why god, why?

Why could I not remember it?

And... I kissed him.

I.

Kissed.

Him.

No.

No, no. nononononono.

Stupid Jessie.

Stupid stupid stupid Jessie.

Umm... okay, too many questions.

I suddenly cried out in pain and glared at Rachel, who was ironing my hair.

"You don't have to be so rude, you know," I said, "just... be gentle with my hair, please!"

Rachel gritted her teeth from frustration and pulled a strand of my hair even harder.

"Aw... aw... Rachel... don't- it hurts!" I complained and rubbed my poor hair follicles.

"Just shut up! Alright?" Rachel exclaimed, nearly shouting. "What did I tell you to do?"

I hid my face with my hair as I said: "What.. do you mean?" Rachel grabbed another wavy strand to iron. I pressed my lips into a thin line to hide my yelps.

"Don't you dare play dumb with me, King!" My evil best friend said. More like threatened. I swallowed the lump in my throat and cursed at myself mentally, for not remembering this side of Rachel Evans. My best friend can be very scary sometimes.

"Didn't I tell you it's hard to please Nathan?" Rachel pointed out, interrupting my track of thoughts. "Didn't I tell you not to be nervous and just be yourself? Nathan is already in love with who you are."

I licked my lips in an attempt to not blurt out things I might regret saying later. What Rachel didn't know was that my fight with Nathan was over her and Dave. But... it's best to not tell her.

"Where are we going again?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

"We're going to my mom's fashion show, Jess." Rachel said and shook her head disapprovingly. What I was doing the next sixty minutes was: trying out different dresses, and skirts, my best friend is forcing me to wear. I was so tired and bored after those sixty minutes, that I just wanted to crawl into bed and sleep and forget about all this fashion show thing. But of course I didn't tell Rachel that. Otherwise she would have cut me into pieces with her nails, fry me in the oven and feed me to the sharks of the Atlantic ocean.

Anyway.

I tried out a black knee-length skirt and a red shirt with black heels. Rachel finally smiled and clapped in satisfaction.

"This is it! This suits you a lot!" She said, making me smile.

"You'll make it difficult for Nathan to walk properly tonight." Rachel said, her smile turning into an evil one. She did not just say that. Did she?

Did she?

She couldn't- she wouldn't- umm... she couldn't have had those thoughts about me and her brother. I mean... me and Nathan hadn't even kissed, let alone do that.

Oh my god. Nathan is my boyfriend. I have to keep reminding myself that every day. I have to remind myself that Nathan (who is every girl's dream guy) is my boyfriend.

It took me a while to actually believe it and let the words sink in. And now that I finally believe in it, it just feels... good. Very good actually. I felt like I was on the clouds. And for the first time since I became aware of my surroundings and learnt what the words love and boyfriend mean.

I feel very lucky to have Nathan.