25. Jessie

Jessie

The dinner was nice. Everything was so delicious, but I couldn't utter a word during the entire time we had dinner. Even after dinner was finished, I couldn't say thank you to Rachel's mom who had become very tired with preparing all those amazing and delicious dishes for us. The reason of my silence was unknown to me. Maybe it was because I didn't feel like talking, no matter how much Rachel and her parents asked me questions and tried to make a conversation with me. Rachel gave up, and was soon deep in her own thoughts, silent like me. Nathan was like himself, not talking much, and not being silent much. However Dave, and Rachel's parents were talking about nearly everything.

I couldn't help but think of what happened today before we came to the Evans's house. And I felt extremely embarrassed that I had changed into my pajamas (my worst ones) instead of my yellow floral dress.

What has gotten into me?

First I hear unexpected imaginary voices in my head, then I mistakenly change into my worst pajamas. I know, Emma hurt me a lot, but I don't think I have thought about her today. So why was I hearing her voice in my head?

"Jessie, dear?" I looked up from the large strawberry cake in front of me and stared at Mrs. Evans.

"Yes?" I said. My voice sounding weird to my ears, maybe because I haven't talked for a while.

"Why do you keep staring at the desert instead of eating them?" Mrs. Evans asked with a polite, sweet smile on her face.

"Oh. I was... daydreaming." I admitted. Feeling my face flush under Mrs. Evan's stare.

"Eat some, my dear. Here..." She cut the chocolate cake in front of Dave, with a large knife. And put the delicious looking piece of cake on the plate in front of me. "I baked this for you, I knew it's your favorite."

"Thank you," I mumbled and smiled. Finally there was a sincere smile on my face. I licked my lips and grabbed my fork, then I dug into the piece of cake in front me and savored its taste. I loved Mrs. Evan's cakes and sweets. They directly melted in my mouth.

"I was the one who told her it's your favorite," Rachel grinned from ear to ear.

"I know it's you," I mumbled and smiled at my best friend. Who would want a friend like Emma when I have Rachel? Okay, maybe I'm lying to myself. Maybe I'm very hurt by Emma after all.

"Nathan?" Rachel called her brother.

"Mm," Nathan mumbled, since his mouth was full of his mom's cooked biscuits.

"Umm... When will you go back to Florida?" Rachel asked, her eyes twinkling from excitement and nervousness. An expression I knew very well.

Nathan frowned, and stared at his sister for a few seconds before answering "Why are you asking?"

"I'm just asking." She shrugged, "I missed you, you know."

"I missed you too, guys." Nathan muttered, "I don't know when I'll be back, it depends on my research..."

"Oh," Rachel mumbled. Staring at the plate in front of her, deep in thought again.

Nathan stared at her suspiciously, but didn't ask further questions.

Dave was staring at Rachel too. But not the way Nathan was staring at her. His face was glowing and he was staring at her so contently.

Then it hit me.

Dave liked Rachel.

And that stupid girl, not only didn't have any idea about it, but even belittled poor Dave and didn't like him.

I thought I should tell her. Since I had made too many problems by not saying anything. I should open my mouth this time, and say something But...On the other hand, it was none of my business.

Rachel didn't care about Dave anyways, Dave might have gotten hurt if I said anything about the matter. Also maybe I was mistaken. Like how I was wrong when it came to Samuel Davies's feelings for me. I told myself that I'll just pretend I haven't felt anything regarding Dave's crush for my friend. Yeah. That's for the better.