34. Nathan

Nathan

It was the New Year's Eve, my parents wanted, me and my friends, to spend with them again. But we preferred to stay home and do our crazy plans instead. I didn't think I could handle watching another boring movie with those three, so they suggested to play video games, Jessie and Rachel baked a tasty looking cake, which had Happy New Year printed on it with a pink cream, professionally. Basically, our night consisted of playing video games, eating lots of unhealthy food, Rachel dancing like a maniac on the kitchen table and drinking wine. But I was most certainly not complaining, since it's much better than staring at my parent's eyes who would have told me: how much they love me and support me, or they're proud of me. I couldn't have handled the guilt taking over all of my heart and it seemed to happen very often when I was with them.

Before doing anything, we had dinner. Dave was the one who volunteered to cook and I admit he cooks very well. He had cooked cuisine, American lasagna, mashed potatoes (though I prefer at breakfast, Dave's ones were mouthwatering) and cheese pasta. I helped him a little with the cuisine and the lasagna, because well... Rachel was using her fake feminism to not help him out, when Jessie wanted to get up and help Dave, Rachel immediately grabbed her shirt and forced her to sit down. I don't have anything against feminists, but I knew Rachel was making an excuse not to work. And she was moaning the entire time we had dinner, making me glare at her, and making Jessie and Dave to stare blankly at their own plates, pretending they didn't hear my sister's embarrassing behavior.

"Mmmm... oh lord, this is so tasty." she said as she put her finger in her mouth and licked it, making my jaw clench. Seriously, this is so humiliating. "Ohhh... Sweet, innocent, kind, friendly God. I have never ever tasted such delicious lasagna in my entire life," She was saying each time she was digging her fork into the lasagna enthusiastically, and moaning as she tasted a different food.

"Rach, enough." I said calmly, but I wasn't feeling relaxed or calm at all. It's not like I would have had a fight with my sister in front of Dave and Jessie though.

Dinner was finished, Dave brought Jessie's PlayStation 4, from my room (because I was trying to distract myself, and obviously mine is back in Florida), and they started connecting the wires, and all that. They started playing in turn, or versus each other. While I volunteered to do the dishes. I washed my hands first, then I washed the dishes one by one. Then the glasses, then the fry pans. After that I grabbed a piece of clothing which Jessie uses for drying the dishes, and started drying them.

I heard footsteps, indicating someone's in the kitchen. I looked up to find Jessie staring at me, then at the dish I was holding, then shyly looking around, as if she's looking for something. I know Jessie well enough, to know that she was acting, more like pretending, and she's not good at such things at all, I can see right through her, she was here to talk me but was too shy to say anything. I suppressed the smile which was about to show on my face, and decided to help her with whatever she's wanting.

"Do you need anything?" I said after I cleared my throat.

"Umm... I was actually feeling thirsty, but there's no clean glass." Jessie replied, a tint of blush on her cheeks. Okay first of all; there were many clean glasses in the kitchen, I'm not talking about the dirty ones, there were many clean ones right beside her. Second of all; the reason why she's here could be anything except being thirsty. I handed her the glass I just dried, she took it from me, filled it with water and drank all of it in a gulp. Okay. Maybe she was thirsty after all.

"You want help?" She asked as she stared at all of the clean but wet dishes beside me. I open my mouth to say; no, thanks. But she's already beside me, with a towel in her hand, drying the dishes with me.

We were working in silence for a while, I could feel Jessie's eyes on me every now and then. But I pretended I was not aware, I didn't want her to feel ashamed or anything like that.

"Umm.." Jessie cleared her throat, breaking the silence. "A-are you free this Sunday?" I stopped drying the frying pan in my hand in surprise and raised my brows.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"Umm... It's okay if you don't, we can go out later. I mean.... If that's what you want, I mean I know that's what you want but I mean if you have time, and of course I don't want to pressure you, it's entirely up to you. But it's just that you said-"

"Jessie. Calm down, please. I don't know what you're talking about. Now, tell me what you want to say."

"Uh... the date... I mean... the girlfriend... uh not I mean you-"

"Okay, okay. I get it, I do have time. Where do you want to go?"

"Umm... I don't know."

"It's okay, I'll think of what to do on our first date, then you can decide for the others, how about that?"

"Umm... Cool."

"Okay. I'll speak with you later about Sunday."

Jessie blushed, we finished drying the dishes. I was putting them in their right place. Jessie was about to go out of the kitchen in a hurry when I called her.

"Y-yeah?" Her cheeks got even redder.

"Remember, what I told you. Agreeing to this date, means agreeing to be my girlfriend. We're skipping a step you know," I said.

I didn't know what's wrong with her. I had never seen Jessie stutter or not be able to speak this much. She blushes as she gets nervous, yeah. But this side of her was new and I was not liking it.

"I know." Jessie said and walked out the room, with a huge smile on her face. Making my heart clench from guilt. Oh, God! I hope these two months finish soon, I'm already regretting this. I told myself.