Chapter 8 (Edited)

The sound of crying stirred me awake. Warm water dripped on my arm, and I could tell that it was the tears of someone.

Pain hit my body like a ton of bricks, causing me to groan out in discomfort.

The crying sort of stopped, but there was sound as if someone was wiping the snot and tears from their face. "Cass?" a voice, one of my cousins asked. "Are you alive?"

I flicked my finger as if to say 'yes'. My mouth was dry, and I knew that I wouldn't be able to say a word. I opened my eyes only to be blinded by the light and closed them, hissing.

My cousin stumbled out of the chair and landed on the floor with a loud smack. "Ow, I'm ok," the cousin said.

"TJ, what are you doing?" another voice asked, groggy from sleeping. This one was an older male, and I could recognize his voice anywhere. Xavier was in here with TJ and me, and I couldn't understand why.

"Turning off the light, Alpha," TJ said, flicking off the light. "She is awake."

"Her eyes are closed," Xavier said. He didn't move from his spot, and I had no idea why he didn't listen to the change of my heartbeat.

"You can open them, now," TJ said. He climbed into the bed with me and got his face in mine. He breathed out, and I could tell that he had not brushed his teeth in a while.

I wrinkled my nose up in disgust and opened my eyes. I blinked back in the tiredness and stared into the blue eyes of my cousin.

"Are you ok?" he asked, studying me.

I flicked my eyes as if to say yes.

"Then why aren't you talking?" he asked. "Say something, please."

I licked my lips, trying to get some moisture on them. "Water," I said, hoarsely. "Need."

TJ scrambled off the bed, causing me to groan out in pain when he accidentally hit my side. He stopped and looked at me, his eyes wide. "Sorry, Cass," he said.

I rolled my eyes but didn't say anything.

"I'm... going to get the water. Don't... try to leave, again please?" He waited until I nodded my head before running off.

***

I turned my head to look at Xavier. I was a bit surprised to see Clara in his arms, but it didn't surprise me that much because Clara had a knack for making friends and getting people to like her. I was just surprised that Xavier allowed her to.

Xavier looked down at Clara. He moved a strand of her blonde hair out of her face. "She had been crying," he said. "TJ has been crying, too."

I nodded my head. It was one of the reasons why I had woken up. Another was because something was missing, but I didn't understand what. I placed my hand on my belly, still remembering that wakeful dream, and felt nothing.

"Your child is alive," Xavier said, probably seeing my perplexed look. He gently placed my cousin fully onto the chair before he walked towards me. He was hesitant, and I couldn't understand why.

I watched as he came closer, trying to keep my breathing even. I had no idea what he would do, and I knew that he could be dangerous if provoked.

Xavier stopped near the bed and looked down at me. He cleared his throat and gestured to the bed. "May I sit?" he asked, causing me nod my head. He sat down and moved a hand through his hair.

Up close, Xavier looked worn out and tired. Guilt was coming off of him in waves, and I wondered if he was blaming himself. "Look..." he began but stopped when I shook my head.

I held out my phone and raised an eyebrow. It hurt to talk, so I was going to use his phone while my cousin did whatever.

Xavier hesitantly took his phone from his pocket, probably knowing what I was wanting to do. He placed in his password and put it to something so I could type before he handed it to me.

'It's not your fault,' I typed before showing him the message. 'I don't blame you.'

Xavier furrowed his brows. "But, it is," he said. "If I ha-"

I shook my head, stopping him from talking. 'I would have panicked if it was someone else.' I bit my lip and looked at the phone, watching as the black line blinked. 'He fucked me up pretty bad.'

Xavier set his jaw, and I could tell that he agreed with me. "Was it your first time facing a Worber?" he asked, causing me to shake my head.

'I had faced one when I was in training,' I typed. I shrugged my shoulder when he read it. 'It was a long time ago.'

"How old are you?" he asked.

I tapped on the phone thinking about how old I was. I knew that I was going to have to ask about my baby because I was really worried about him,   but I think that trying to get him not feel guilty was a bit more important. 'Twenty-three,' I typed before showing him.

Xavier nodded his head. He studied me, causing me to look down at my phone. "Are you wondering about your child?" he asked, causing me to nod my head.

'Where is he?' I asked.

"NICU," he replied. "You... went into cardiac arrest again, and the doctor didn't know if you would make it or not. I had her perform a c-section on you. You... were dead until your baby cried, causing your heart to start up again."

I bit my lip and nodded my head. 'Thank you for saving my child.'

Xavier nodded his head and cleared his throat. He looked as if this weight was lifted off of his shoulders because I had said thank you and not yelled at him.

'How far was I?" I asked.

"Three months," he said. "You were three months pregnant when they had to do the c-section."

I nodded my head. 'He is a fighter.'

"Yes, he is." He paused and cleared his throat. "Just like his mother."