Chapter 16 (Edited)

A/N:  I REALLY love Xavier and Cassandra and am listening to Lady Antebellum. Some of their songs, like the one on top, remind me of them so much, so... ya. Enjoy. (Note: It was between this and Just a Kiss.) What songs do you think for them?

~Rissa

_______________________________________________________________________

The sound of my son's crying woke me up from the comfortable sleep that I had been under for the third time that night.

I took a deep breath in and let it out as I sat up, knowing that he was probably hungry. I stopped moving when a gentle hand touched my arm, causing me to cock my head a bit towards the person that I shared a bed with.

"Let me," Xavier said, sleepily. His voice was a little deeper from sleep, causing my breath to become a little bit uneven. "You have been up the last two times."

I shook my head and looked at the time to see that it was almost three. "I have to get up anyway," I said, my voice barely above a whisper.

It had been a week since I moved out of the hospital, and Bryson had been able to move out as well, even though he still was smaller than normal Pups.

During that week, I had started training again, making sure to wake up really early so that no one, outside of the Guardsmen that had come with the twins, could see me train.

With their help, I had been able to sneak past the guards that patrolled the area, so that they had no idea that I was even there which was rather comforting because I was nervous about meeting other members of the pack.

"What do you do?" Xavier asked, causing me to furrow my brows and cock my head. He sat up and stared at me, his lips pressed in a firm line.

"I am used to this," I said. "Some of the training that I had been through..." I shrugged. "It had never left."

He didn't believe me, I could tell. But, I knew that he wouldn't push me to tell him.

"Don't worry," I whispered. "I am doing nothing wrong." I kissed his cheek, stunning both of us with my decision. A blush appeared on my face as I gently removed myself from his grasp and stood. "I'm sorry," I said, my voice softer than it had been.

Bryson whined again, causing me to practically run into my room and to the place where we had kept some bottles ready for him.

"Hey, Baby, don't cry," I cooed, picking him up. "I know that you are hungry. I am sorry." I picked up a bottle and tested the temperature before giving it to him.

The sound of my son suckling from the bottle filled my heart with both happiness and sadness at the same time. It filled me with happiness because he was alive and here with me, but it filled me with sadness because I wasn't able to feed him myself with the milk that I should have been able to produce.

With all the abuse that I had received as well as the nutrients that I hadn't been receiving, I wasn't able to feed him naturally. It made me feel less than a woman, and I had to keep reminding myself that it was ok. It was ok that I wasn't able to breastfeed my son because we were both miracles. We had both survived something that not a lot of people could.

"Did you just kiss my cheek?" Xavier asked, coming behind me. His presence made me feel warm and secure like I was in a safe place, in a safe spot where I didn't have to be so tense and watch my back like I have been.

"I... shouldn't have done that. I am sorry, Alpha," I said, not turning my gaze away from my son. I watched as he stared up at me with those gray eyes of his, eyes that were so full of life like mine had been.

"Don't," he said, softly. "Don't apologize or call me "Alpha"."

I licked my lips and watched as my son slowly closed his eyes and fell back asleep, still suckling. Slowly, so that I didn't wake him, I took the bottle out of his mouth and placed it back where I had it.

Xavier capped off the bottle before I could reach for the top, his hand brushing mine. "Look at me, please," he said, causing me to take in a deep breath before turning to look at him.

Hesitantly, my Alpha pushed a strand of hair out of my face before lifting my chin until I was looking up into his eyes.

I didn't say a word as I looked up at him, frozen in my spot. I knew full well that they would be wondering where I was but that didn't matter to me as much as this male did.

Xavier leaned in but caught himself when I took in a startled breath. His face grew colder as he took his hand off of my face, leaving me feeling slightly breathless.

Without a word, he turned around and started to walk away from me. He only stopped when I let out a breathless 'wait' but didn't turn to look at me.

My face turned red and it took all of my self-control not to jump on his back and kiss him on his cheek again, hoping to bring a smile to his face. "Um..." I cleared my throat and licked my lips. "You never told me what to call you..."

"Xavier," he said, turning his head to the side. He stood there before he cleared his throat and walked the rest of the way to his room. "Good night," he said before he closed the doors that connected both rooms.

I placed my child back into his crib, debating on whether what I should do now. I took a deep breath and walked to the doors that separated both rooms. I hesitated to open them and let my hand touch the wood, not bothering to put my hand on the handle.

I closed my eyes and placed my head on the door, not bothering to open the double doors. I could feel him on the other side of the doors and wondered what he was thinking.

"Goodnight," I said, finally, my voice soft. "Xavier."

And with that, I turned around to go to the bathroom where I had clothes ready for my training sessions, feeling at peace and happy for the first time in a while.