Chapter 65

"Let's go," I called to the driver, setting the Soothsayer down between two of the eleven Guardsmen that were in the van with us before sitting between two more. "We don't have time."

"Yes, Alpha Beta," the driver said, his voice sounding familiar to me, but I couldn't place it. He started the van, and I was surprised that I wasn't falling asleep, but I didn't care as I took off my mask and hood.

I moved a hand across my face, feeling exhausted but alert, and I knew that my job wasn't done for tonight. I wasn't in the all clear, yet.

"Rough night?" one of the other Guardsmen, a female, asked. Her voice sounded soothing and comforted me, and I could sense this small bit of giddiness to it, but I didn't question it.

I let out a breathless chuckle. If only she knew. "Rough couple of weeks," I replied. I rubbed my face again before getting up from my spot and moving closer to the Soothsayer.

"C-" someone began but stopped when someone else stopped him.

I paid them no heed as I removed the cuffs and hooked them to my belt before pulling off the hood.

The Soothsayer was shaking hard, and I could hear his heart beating hard in his chest. He looked around him before looking at me, his bottom lip quivering. "76-24-24-32," he said.

I nodded my head and took out my tool before doing the numbers to his temple, side of each head, and chest. I grunted when he shoved me back and went to reach for the steering wheel.

"Take me back," he sobbed in a blind panic. "Take me back."

I grabbed him and pulled him back to the van part, shouting out my protest and for the driver to focus and get us to the place we needed to go.

Chaos ensued after that because of the shouting and pulling until I finally had enough, grabbed the Soothsayer, and basically slammed him into his seat before backhanding him, leaving both of us shocked.

"Quit acting like a child," I said, recovering quickly. I took out a small medicine container that I had and fixed his lip for him. "That was very dangerous and irresponsible," I muttered.

"Then have them turn this van around and take me back," the Soothsayer said, bursting into tears. "Please, tell him to take me back."

My heart broke for this man, and I gently wiped his eyes, the mother in me coming forth. "I am not going to do that," I said, my voice soft. "Not after all of the pain I had caused you."

The Soothsayer shook his head, sniffling. He didn't meet my gaze, and I could tell that he felt shame for something. "I deserved it," he said. He flinched when I growled but didn't move from his spot. "I deserved all of it and so much more."

I shook my head. "No, you don't," I replied. "Y-"

"It's my fault that they had went into hiding," he snapped, pulling his face from my hands. He glared at me, his eyes filled with tears. "It's my fault that there was a rift between the first king and the Ten in the first place. Don't you see? I created this group. I created the monster that destroyed you. I deserve to be punished for the pain you all had faced, and that punishment should be death."

I snorted and set my jaw. "Two words," I said, holding up two fingers. "Bull. Shit." I ignored the snort and tsk, my main focus on the male before me. "You do not deserve to die."

"I-"

"If your first "form" or whatever hadn't done it, then something else could have sent them into hiding. I think that the group was created before you had something because I remember reading it from the first king's journal before it was rudely taken away from me, but that is beside the point."