Chapter 1 (Unedited)

Percy's POV

School had let out over five minutes ago, and Annabeth still hadn't left yet. I'd promised to wait for her today so that we could study together at a nearby coffee shop, but ADHD was not helping my attempt to be patient. I flicked Riptide back and forth between my fingers in pen form, mentally counting the seconds. At 7 minutes and 47 seconds my impatience turned to worry - there hadn't been any monsters at Goode since last semester, and it made me feel like I needed to go find Annabeth - now.

As I pushed myself off the hood of Paul's car and began to speed walk towards the nearest entrance I saw Annabeth jogging towards me, her clothes covered in gold dust. Thankful that she was fine I slowed down, but kept my defences up - if there had been one monster, then probably there were others not too far behind. We met near the entrance, and I immediately swivelled around, my arm around Annabeth's shoulder's, steering her down the street and past the coffee shop we had initially planned to enter.

"How many were there?" I asked, my tone low, using Greek in an attempt to be discreet. "Two empousai - Kelli and a new one," Annabeth replied."They found me as I was leaving homeroom. Thankfully I was able to lead them into the Janitor's closet, but Mr Jones won't be happy - it looks like there was a massive glitter explosion in there." 

I tried my best to keep a straight face, but the idea of Mr Jones, our grumpy janitor, finding a pile of golden dust in his closet made me break out into a smile. "They probably weren't alone though Wise Girl, let's take the long way back to my place, we can study there. I don't want to risk an attack in that coffee shop, they're the only place near to school that lets me turn my coffee blue" Annabeth smirked at me, as she switched back to English. "You're such an idiot, Seaweed Brain. I'll race you back to yours though. GO." As she burst out into a run, twirling to avoid hitting the other pedestrians with her bag, I let my previous smile take over my face again, and sprinted down the street to catch up.

Despite her head start, I had narrowly beaten Annabeth back to my flat - when a mom had stepped out in front of her, with her stroller, Annabeth had had to quickly jump off the path, and I had taken the opportunity to overtake. Even so as I was unlocking the door to my apartment I heard Annabeth pounding up the last flight of stairs. "You little cheat, Percy," she joking called out to me, a little out of breath as she walked over to where I was standing. "I could've been hurt when I had to jump off that path, but you just kept running. You just wanted to win."

I swept her into a hug, resting my forehead on her's. "My Wise Girl getting hurt by a little jump? Not likely, She's too smart for that." I pressed a soft kiss to her temple before opening my door and walking in, Annabeth right behind me. Dumping my school bag onto the kitchen table, I grabbed a blue cookie from the jar my mom had set out on the counter, and dramatically collapsed onto the couch. "Percy!" Annabeth admonished. "We both need to study for finals, so get your butt to the table." When I didn't move immediately, I heard her footsteps draw closer, and suddenly I wasn't on the couch anymore. With my face smushed into the carpet it was really hard to eat my cookie so, with a sigh, I clambered off the floor and headed to the table, munching the remnants of my cookie. As I sat down I looked out the window and was shocked to see what I thought was a person crouched on the roof of the skyscraper opposite my apartment.

"Percy? What's wrong?" I didn't answer immediately, turning slowly towards my girlfriend. "I'm not too sure. I thought I saw a guy on the roof to our South West, but," I chanced a look back to the spot I'd previously seen the guy. " I can't see him anymore. Maybe I'm seeing things - I've not been getting enough sleep recently. Anyway," I quickly changed the subject, trying to shake the odd image out of my head. "Should we look at Math first? I have that test next week."

As Annabeth started going back over simultaneous equations and how to use the substitution method to solve them, I found that as hard as I tried, I couldn't fully expel the man from my mind. Although I had blamed it on a hallucination caused by my nightmare plagued sleep I had an odd feeling that I'd seen the man somewhere before - and that I would be seeing him again soon.

Wooh my first chapter is done. It's not very long (about 800 words), but I just wanted to start this off before all my ideas left my head. Who do you think the man on the rooftop is? And why do you think he's there?

If anyone guesses correctly before I post the next chapter, I'll dedicate the next chapter to them (I'll probably post the next one anywhere between a couple of days to a week after the first one, as hopefully I'll have it pre written, if I follow my own rules.)

Emily

Finished ( 09/04/2018)     Edited (  /  /  )