Chapter 4 (unedited)

Annabeth's POV

I had just been helping Sally to prepare dinner - spaghetti bolognese - when I heard a faint whimper. Sally and I both knew what would be coming next, having been here through many of Percy's nightmares before.

"Annabeth!" He began to yell, and I immediately turned and rushed into his room. I barely registered Sally's hesitant footsteps behind mine, determined to reach my boyfriends side. I fell to my knees by the side of his bed, grasped his hand and whispered "I'm here." I knew that there wasn't much I could do whilst he stayed in such a deep sleep, but that didn't stop me from pressing my lips to Percy's hand, tears beginning to roll down my cheeks. "You need to run, Annabeth, I can't hold the monsters back for much longer." Percy writhed in pain, a pain I too remembered far too well. After a moment of silence, I foolishly hoped that the nightmare was over, that Percy was going to wake up now, but then he let out a loud scream. I had heard that exact scream before as poison had rushed through his veins, having put himself between me and Arai. Whenever an Arai was killed the curse they carried would bounce back onto the killer, and Percy had taken the brunt of the curses in ... Tartarus

Frantically I shook Percy by his shoulders my tears no longer restrained, flowing freely down my face. Mid scream he awoke, flinging his body upright, and I buried my face into his chest in relief. I felt myself being sluggishly being lifted onto his lap, the after effects of the curse still present despite the many months that had passed since those events. "I thought they'd got you," he whispered, his words muffled by my hair. "I wasn't fast enough, they got to you, and I-I-I couldn't do anything to stop them." I felt his body shudder beneath me, as he gripped me tighter. Wriggling my body out a little, I wrapped my arms around Percy's shoulder's and pressed my forehead to his. As we took a minute to just breath together, to calm Percy's racing heart, I barely noticed Sally retreating back out to the kitchen. I was the only one who could get Percy to wake up out of his nightmare's, but, understandably, Sally still didn't want to leave her only son screaming in pain. She wanted to feel like she could do something.

A few minutes had passed and I could finally feel Percy's heart begin to slow back down to a normal rate. I pressed my lips to his, a multitude of emotions behind the short kiss. " Are you ready to head out?" I asked, not wanting him to fall asleep again. Hearing those pained screams was bad enough, but what he was mentally going through when they happened was almost unspeakable. He nodded slightly, standing up with me still in his arms. Slowly he let my legs drop to the group but kept one arm around me - partly to reassure himself that I was still there, but also partly to support himself, his legs not fully steady after the latest nightmare. We slowly made out way back out to the kitchen, collapsing together onto the couch. "Sally, are you okay to finish up the spaghetti by yourself?" I asked, feeling bad for abandoning dinner. "Of course Annabeth," Sally insisted, the only acknowledgement of the screams from moment's ago being the slightly shiny tear tracks on her face. At the mention of spaghetti Percy perked up.

"Mom, can you make it blue?" At Percy's stupid - yet not unexpected - request, both Sally and I burst out into genuine laughter, the past few minutes pushed aside. "Of course she can, Seaweed Brain," I chuckled, snuggling further into his side. I reached for the remote to turn on the TV opposite us, tuning into a nature documentary. Percy's face lit up at the sight of the fish on TV, and he too shifted so that he could see the screen clearly, whilst refusing to let go of me. I ended up lying on top of his body, my ear pressed to his chest, allowing me to hear the reassuring steady beat of his heart.

"When does she not make your food blue" I laughed, at peace again.

Tony's POV

Both Clint and Natasha had the same disturbed and pained look on their faces, having just heard a recording of the boy they had seen earlier, happy and healthy, let out the most blood curdling scream. His girlfriend and mom hadn't seemed that shocked by his screams of pain - upset yes, but surprised, no. "JARVIS wasn't able to clean up the tapes that much, the bug is too far away to hear much of the kids conversation, but the few words we got were nonsense - they must be in the same language you heard them speaking earlier. You can hear the conversation when they come back out though." I replayed the end of my recording, a little confused by the reference to blue food. It must be some sort of inside joke for them, from the reactions we heard. I did wish that we had been able to get a camera into their apartment though, I didn't like having to rely on sound only.

"Their isn't much more we can do right now. I've set Jarvis to back up everything from the bug, and to alert me if the kid starts screaming again. I think we need to take this opportunity to talk to the others." Clint and Natasha nodded their agreement, and together we headed up to our unofficial meeting room, using JARVIS to alert Thor, Steve and Bruce on the way.

My favourite part about our chosen meeting space was the fully stocked bar in the corner so whilst we waited for the others to arrive I headed over to pour myself a single malt scotch. It wasn't long before the other three made their way down to our floor, but it was long enough for me to feel a slight buzz from the alcohol. I set my empty glass down,  and pulled myself to sit upon the bar.

"So," I started. "We think we might have an explanation behind those signals I told you I was tracking." Whilst I had their attention, I took the opportunity to go over the events of that day, Clint and Natasha occasionally interrupting to add in a small detail or two that I had forgotten. By the end of our explanation, - and after JARVIS had replayed the important parts we had overheard - the three were understandably confused. However that didn't stop them from immediately brainstorming, and organising a schedule, so that two of us would always be able to follow the teens. By ten pm we were able to head off to our separate rooms to sleep, our schedules for tomorrow organised down to the nano second. We were going to find out what these kids were hiding, and how it related to the strange signals I had been tracking for the last few months.

I'm zooming through this at the moment, because I'm trying to avoid thinking about my responsibilities - like revising for the exams I have in a few months, or doing the English coursework that I still haven't finished yet. Anyway I'm slowly increasing my word count for each chapter, and figuring out my favourite POV's to write (So far Percy, Annabeth and Clint are my favourites, so there will probably be quite a few of those as I write more of this). I feel like I should probably take a bit of a break before I start writing the next chapter, because I want to get to 2000 words on the next chapter and I need some brain capacity for that lol.

Finished (10/04/2018)     Edited (  /  /    )