Chapter 16 (Unedited)

Annabeth's POV

Thankfully when we had left Elsie's house there hadn't been any monsters around, and we were able to hail a taxi back to Percy's apartment pretty quickly, despite the early hours. Making it up all those flights of stairs was difficult and after two flights Percy had made me climb on his back, and carried me up the rest of the stairs. 

Entering his apartment, I caught a glimpse of the clock, which put the time as just before 7 am. We would be pushing it to get to school on time today if Paul had gone in early. As I slid off of Percy's back and landed softly on the floor Percy handed me the crutches, and gestured that he was gonna go and grab some ambrosia. We'd both been able to shower and get changed at my great aunt's place, so all we really needed to do here was to figure out lunches, swap out textbooks, and heal up a little bit. 

Percy chose that moment to pad back through his door and over to where I was standing, handing me a square of ambrosia. "There is just enough for one bit for each of us now and one for you tomorrow if you need it. Will should be sending blackjack over with some more medical supplies today, so I've left my window open just enough that he can drop them onto my desk." I nodded, making my way into Percy's room to pick up the textbooks I needed. 

"I think this'll be enough that I don't need to wear the brace today, I'll just take the crutches and say that I fell down the stairs and twisted my ankle or something. If we were still planning on taking part in that track meet next Friday then I can't make it out to be any worse than that I don't think. I'll pack the brace, but unless something goes horrifically wrong I'm probably not gonna wear it at school." Whilst talking to Percy I had been searching his room for my Psychology textbook, finally spotting a corner of it poking out from underneath his bed. "Yeah that makes sense," He replied. "I'm going to put some lunch together and see if my Mom or Paul can drop us at school."

As Percy walked out the room I flopped down onto his bed and began to swap out the textbooks in our school bags. It only took a couple of minutes, so I used the rest of my time to sort out some of the mess that had been piling up on Percy's floor. I filed our textbooks neatly into the basket they usually stayed in, and began to collect together dirty clothes to put in the laundry basket in the hall. Even five minutes after I'd started, when Percy walked back in with two lunches the room looked much bigger and cleaner - mostly because the floor was visible now. "Babe, Paul already left because he needed to attend an important meeting early this morning, but my Mom said that she can drop us off on her way to work. We have like five minutes before she was planning on leaving so we could have some breakfast." My stomach automatically rumbled at the mention of breakfast, making me blush a little.

"I take it that was a yes to breakfast then," Percy laughed, offering me a hand to help me get up from the floor. "We don't have time to cook anything, but I can pour a mean bowl of cereal." I grabbed one of my crutches and hobbled into the kitchen to see some bowls and cereal already laid out on the table. "What can I say," Percy joked from behind me. "I knew what your answer was going to be, I must be a prophet."

After a few quiet minutes of eating cereal Sally came out of her room, her car keys dangling from her hand. "Hey guys, I'm leaving in a second if you're still wanting to catch a lift." She paused as she caught sight of the crutches balanced next to me. "Oh Annabeth, I hope your knee is okay. Percy told me you got a little injured when he popped into my room this morning but he didn't say it was that bad." I shrugged, already rattling off my usual spiel about how it looked a lot worse than it actually was, and how the ambrosia was already helping tons. My words did little to change the slightly concerned expression that was plastered across Sally's face, but it did prompt her into continuing to move round the kitchen, grabbing her bits together.