Chapter 13 (Unedited)

Annabeth's POV

For a few minutes after the other's had shadow travelled our new friends back to the alley Percy and I remained standing. Then the pain in my leg became too much, and I was forced to limp back to the seats in the conservatory. Percy followed me closely, his arms  outstretched, ready to catch me if needed. Dropping onto a chair I swivelled around so that I could prop my injured leg up on the next chair. Percy slid onto the chair behind me, gesturing that I could lean all the way back onto his lap. Exhausted by today's event's I obliged, immediately feeling at home and safe in his presence.

"We have a tiny bit of ambrosia at my place, but I'm a little worried about two factors if we were to travel back tonight. My first problem is that if there were any monsters that you and Will didn't spot on the way back, neither of us are in a good enough shape to safely kill them. My second problem is that I'm worried about Elsie - I don't think that her carers have been coming regularly enough, and I don't particularly want to leave her here tonight."

I took a minute to mull over Percy's words before coming to an almost identical view. Both of us were physically drained, and would be taken out in minutes by monsters who would normally not be a challenge. And I was also worried about Elsie; when I had arrived my conversation with her had been confused and very repetitive, almost as if she hadn't been able to recall her previous sentences. "Me too." I said with a sigh. "I think I'm going to have to start calling up care homes in the area, or at the very least some full time carers. My dad wanted to do that months ago but I promised that I'd be here to look after her. But over the last month or so I've been spending a lot more time at yours and I don't think Elsie is being looked after enough by the part time carers.

Percy shifted his leg beneath my back, pulling my phone out of his jean pocket. "I'm just gonna let my Mom and Paul know that we're staying here tonight, I don't want them to worry." After a few minutes of light conversation Percy hung up, and handed me my phone. "Mom said it would be nice to finally have control of the TV all evening, and Paul said they would take the chance to have a nice chill movie night date."

Percy suddenly stood once more, prompting me to sit up again. "I think we should make some food for Elsie - and by we I mean me, whilst you sit with her and watch some TV. Let me help you into her room, and I'll be in with some soup or something shortly."

Standing, I made sure that all my body weight was put onto my good leg. Although the gouges were deep they weren't the reason that I was in so much pain. When Kelli had jumped out at us when Will and I were making our way over here she had knocked me over. With the force of the jump I was pretty sure that my knee had been dislocated, and potentially some of the muscles around my knee had been torn or strained. I hadn't even had time to reset my knee till Will and I had managed to kill Kelli, which probably hadn't helped. Once I got some ambrosia it would start to heal, but for now every step sent shooting pains up my leg. 

Percy once more handed me some crutches, and waited till I started swinging towards the living room before following once more. We'd both been on crutches before, for injuries that ambrosia hadn't been able to fully heal, or when mortals had seen injuries, and would have been suspicious had they been gone by the next day. With the limited amount of Ambrosia that we had at Percy's apartment I had a feeling that I'd be claiming a mild sprain at school tomorrow. I shouldn't need the brace tomorrow, at least once I had had some ambrosia, and more nectar, but I would definitely be needing the crutches for a few days, at least.

"I hate being injured," I moaned, as we slowly made our way into the living room. "I feel on edge whenever I'm out, that if monsters attacked then I'm screwed. And I know that you'd never let any monsters hurt me, but I don't like feeling useless." Percy moved in front of me, forcing me to stop just outside of the living room. "You never have been, and never will be, useless Wise Girl. We both know that you've had my back more times than I could count since we met. You're just annoyed because you can't do everything you usually can, but let me tell you that even a partially incapacitated Annabeth Chase could take down a dozen monsters, on her own." With that he leaned forwards initiating a short, but intense, kiss.