Chapter 26 (Unedited) + AN

There is a kinda long AN at the end of this chapter. TLDR; please stop commenting 'update!' or that I've abandoned PJMTA. I am aware updates have been way beyond sporadic but comments like that are the opposite of motivating for me

Percy's POV

"Anyway, where is Jason? I have a competition to win, and some new friends to impress," I asked Clarisse. As she finally reached the ground and started pressing the buttons that would reset the wall, she shrugged her shoulders. 

"He told me that he just had to put something in his cabin and then he'd be back to - and I'm quoting him here - 'absolutely crush that bitch'. He's feeling extremely confident so maybe it is time to prepare to be replaced at the top of the leader board" Clarisse continued to reset the wall, dialling it back to the most basic level. Annabeth gestured vaguely to me that she had spotted one of her siblings and darted over to intercept them, probably to talk about one of the blueprints she had sent over recently.

"Whilst you're waiting, do any of your friends wanna give it a go? You can always stand by with some water in case the lava gets too close to them. No offence," she directed at the Avengers. "Mortals cant recover from lava burns in quite the same way that we do, especially considering you can't have nectar or ambrosia."

After a few moments of quiet conversation Natasha nodded. "I'll have a go." Clarisse beckoned her over, and began to strap her into the harness. I closed my eyes in order to focus on searching for the nearest water source, feeling a gentle pull in my stomach. As soon as my eyes were back open, Clarisse pushed a length of rope into my hand, which she had attached to the loop at the back of Natasha's harness.

"Okay, so we normally just send the newbies up without much of an explanation and heal the burns afterwards with nectar, but seeing as how we can't really do that with mortals I'll explain how the wall works a bit," Clarisse said. "The two walls that you can see both shake, spray lava out, and if you're especially slow they will quite literally smash together. I've turned that setting down though, so it will be five minutes before the walls start moving together, which should be enough time, right?

Natasha sized up the wall quickly, and nodded.

"I'm putting the lava on the slowest and lightest setting for your first go which is what all the newbies do, and if you don't get burned and want a second go maybe we can turn that up later. Basically avoid the lava at pretty much all costs, and worst case scenario, push out with your legs. The rope I've given Percy is attached to the back of your harness and can be used to yank or hold you out of the way of lava if it gets too close to comfort. But he won't use it until the last second so there is a chance you could still get injured. 

After hearing all the ways you could get severely injured doing this are you still happy to climb the wall? This is essentially a verbal waiver you're agreeing to - I don't want to be sued."

Natasha nodded again walking up to the first set of handholds. She waited for Clarisse to set her off, and immediately darted up the first section of the wall. Her pace didn't start slowing until she was nearly a third of the way up, when sections of the wall started shaking violently, moving back and forth. After a couple of near misses, all accompanied by simultaneous high pitched gasps from the watching Avengers, Natasha found her rhythm again, starting to predict when and where the wall would move.

When lava was added to the mix, she handled it similarly, only narrowly avoiding being burnt for about fifteen second before the dripping patterns could be spotted and the rest of the lava avoided. Natasha made it to the top in a respectable 7 minutes 49 seconds, placing her in the middle of the campers leader board for those specific wall settings. She had to wait for Clarisse to drain the remaining lava from the wall before she was given the all clear to abseil back down. As soon as she made it back to solid ground, the Avengers crowded around her, all talking loudly and at the same time about how impressive her climb had been.