Chapter 6 (Unedited)

Clint's POV

These kids were definitely something else. Natasha and I were on watch from 3am till 8am, a shift I thought would be quite easy. I thought most teens sleep till noon when they can - and at least till 6 or 7 on a school day. However these two were out at just after four, before running for just over an hour at top speed, and they seemed almost unaffected afterwards. No wonder they were able to almost outrun Nat and I yesterday, they train at the same standard as Olympic athletes. Before heading back I saw a moment of conversation between them before the boy flung himself forwards, sprinting as if he hadn't just run for an hour non stop, heading towards what looked like a children's playground. "Nat what did they say?"

Even from my position in the car, I could see the look of confusion that flashed across her face where she sat on the bench. "Yeah, he asked if they had time to go on the swings before heading back, it sounds like a practised routine."

"And?"

"It's nothing, I just ... I feel like they know we're here. Which is mad, " Natasha continued, risking a quick glance to the teens. I too moved my line of sight back to the teens who had just reached the playground equipment, Percy effortlessly swinging from one monkey bar to the next as if he weighed nothing. "He made eye contact with me when he was stretching, but I'm 100 metres away he shouldn't be able to see me. I'm a secret agent, and he is just a boy - albeit a slightly suspicious one, but a boy nonetheless." I grunted my acknowledgement of her words, but secretly echoed the same thoughts. The girls shoulders had stiffened up momentarily whilst Nat was following them to the park, and then they had burst out into a conversation in that other language. Tony hadn't been able to find out which language it was - and the closest JARVIS had gotten was Greek with a 68% match. When I popped down to the workshop this morning before I left the tower Tony had been micro analysing the tape yet again, trying to translate individual words, sounds and syllables. I don't think he had slept yet, too busy trying to solve the mystery. Not only did that make us more suspicious of the pair but it also created a whole host of questions. 

What language were they speaking, and how did they both learn it? Did it have anything to do with their respective unidentifiable parents or their interrupted education? Are they switching between it and English consciously because they know they're being followed, or are they just naturally switching? Whilst I had been thinking, I hadn't noticed Natasha slowly creeping through the trees, attempting to get into earshot. With a small crackle of my communications unit I heard their conversation - which thankfully was in English this time. "... couldn't fall back asleep, I didn't want to risk it." Risk it? What exactly did he mean by that - was he referring to the screams Tony had played to us last night? 

"I'll be fine, I'll take a Trazadone tonight, get a full nights sleep. Anyway," he quickly started, his tone suddenly much brighter, almost at a forced level. "As much as I love the swings, we should probably head back soon, my mom will be worried if we're late back." With that the two dragged their feet across the floor to slow their swings down, sliding off and heading back to the street. After a few moments I jumped out the car, and hurried over to where Natasha stood by the swings. "You're right Nat, they definitely know something is up,  judging by that subject change. Percy was definitely about to say something else,  he possibly knows that someone is following them. Lets quickly bug up this area, to hopefully stop them from spotting you again in the future, and then we can head back to their apartment and follow them to school. God I haven't had to go to school for well over a decade, nearly two now." We worked together in silence, pressing a few of the listening bugs into the knots of trees, and around the equipment they had used today. I scaled a tree a few metres to attach a small wireless camera to a bough that would give us a good view of the swings the two had chatted on for a few minutes. If we were able to observe them without being here, we would be likely to find out a lot more, and quicker. Also Tony would want to observe them after the few days we had organised, and him being under the radar is almost impossible - whether as Iron Man or Tony Stark, he's just too well known.