Chapter 23 (Unedited)

Percy's POV

Annabeth and I made it to the tower in record time, sneaking in through a mostly unused door round the back. Tony gave JARVIS permission to let us in, and directed us towards the kitchen where we found several of the Avengers were angrily bombarding him with questions and complaints.

"Why on earth have you woken us up-""-tried going out for my run but the door-""why am I even awake right now?" That last one came from a clearly exhausted and confused Pepper who appeared to be the only one in pyjamas other than Tony - everyone else, strangely enough, was wearing their combat gear.

Annabeth and I stood there for several minutes before Tony eventually spotted us, running over to shelter behind us. "It literally took us a little over ten minutes to get here. What on earth did you do to cause this in such a short space of time?" I questioned Tony, whilst Annabeth took control of the situation. "Steve was about to go out for his run when JARVIS locked the building up so when the doors wouldn't let him out, and he saw the lights in the corridor dim - I essentially put JARVIS's system into intruder mode. So he woke everyone up, assuming there was an intruder, and they all confronted me here where I was getting some breakfast. " 

Annabeth seemed to have the situation under control, and at Tony's mention of breakfast my stomach rumbled. In our rush to leave my apartment we hadn't grabbed anything to eat, something I had whined about the entire way here. After a quiet moment of conversation Tony led me into the walk in pantry of my dreams that sat inconspicuously in the corner of the kitchen. I was on my third Pop-Tart when Annabeth popped her head round the door. 

"Percy, we came here for a reason - and it definitely didn't involve breakfast." Although her voice was stern there was a sparkle in her eyes that betrayed her fierce tone. "Breakfast's the most important meal of the day!" I fired back, several crumbs falling out of my mouth. "And anyway I wasn't much use in there with all the serious explaining and plans and whatever else you were doing, so I thought I'd make sure I had energy for later. I promised Jason a rematch on the lava wall next time I saw him, and I'm not going to risk that without breakfast."

Annabeth shook her head at me, before gesturing me to come join her once more in the kitchen. My glance remained on the carton of Pop-Tarts for a moment longer before I grabbed two more to stash in my pockets for later. Tony walked out the pantry with me, his face showing a look of confusion. "You have a lava wall? Should I be scared on your behalf?"

"Umm...  you don't need to be scared for me, but I definitely would recommend avoiding it yourself. Demigod's heal quick  once we've had a little ambrosia or nectar, but a slip on that wall would severely burn a mortal. Don't worry through, nobody will make you go on it, we'll be too busy meeting with Chiron to really do much else in camp. It's a long shot that I'll even see Jason, but we've been waiting for weeks for any possible rematch. We're currently tied 4-to-4 so we've decided it's all or nothing for this tie breaker."

My words seemed to do little to reassure Tony that I'd be fine so I quickly changed the subject, bringing his attention back to the matter at hand. A couple of minutes later we came across Annabeth in a hallway talking to Piper through an Iris message. Tony stopped in amazement, theorising how it could be possible under his breath. 

Before he had a chance to theorise much - beyond 'magic' - Annabeth swiped through the mist, and informed us that Piper and Argus were a few minutes away. Following her lead we jogged down the stairs to the ground floor. All the avengers were sitting on the floor quietly talking whilst they presumably waited for us. There was an awkward silence for another minute till JARVIS alerted Tony to an unauthorised vehicle on the street directly outside. The nearest screen - which was inlaid on the wall by the doors - lit up showing the familiar delphi strawberries van.