Chapter 21 (Unedited)

Percy's POV

Hazel, Annabeth and I all jogged the 20 feet to the entrance of the nearest dimly lit alley. Stopping briefly I caught a glimpse of the mouse scurrying off of Hazel's shoulder. Frank stepped out of the darkness a split second later, the only sign that moments before he had been in mouse form his ruffled hair, and the odd white animal on his clothes. He had insisted on coming with Hazel, but agreed to compromise by staying in animal form, unless he felt our safety was at any point threatened.

"We're going to try to make it back to Camp to see people and chat with Chiron next weekend, so maybe we'll see you then?" Annabeth asked as she pulled on a pair of gloves. The few hours that we had been at the Avengers base the temperature had plummeted, rendering my hooded sweatshirt pretty much useless. "Anyway," she continued "Regardless of when we next see you, make sure that you both make it back to Camp safe. I don't think those people will try to follow you, but I can't be certain. You came by Arion, right? They shouldn't even be able to keep up with you, let alone follow you back, but just be aware nonetheless. See ya." 

We exchanged quick hugs before running off in separate directions, Annabeth and I headed to my apartment. She pulled out her phone, and dialled a number, my mom presumably picking up at the other end. I heard Annabeth telling her that we were on our way back, that we just got caught up in our explanation. I was so focused on listening to Annabeth's conversation with my mom that I didn't notice the monster till it was only a couple of yards away from us. "I'll call you back Sally," I faintly heard Annabeth say, hanging up her phone, before sliding it back into her pocket.

We skidded to a stop, the Chimera facing us licking it's lips. Or at least the lion's face facing us licked its lips. Chimera's also had a goats face on their back, which when paired with a poisonous rattlesnake tail made for a powerful opponent."Uh... Percy," Annabeth said slowly, pulling her hat out of her back pocket. "Yeah?" I replied, drawing Riptide as we both backed away from the deadly monster. "I have a plan. You just need to ... distract it for a few minutes. Good luck." With those words Annabeth firmly jammed the hat on her head, disappearing from my sight.

"No big deal Percy," I muttered to myself. "All you need to do is distract the giant, fire breathing, venomous monster. Oh and don't forget its super strength, and high human intelligence. Last time you saw one of these you had to jump out of the St. Louis Arch to escape it, so a little distraction will be easy."

Whilst I had been giving myself a little pep talk the chimera had been closing in on me. Once it was withing striking distance it began to whip its rattlesnake tail towards me, presumably hoping to incapacitate me with one strike. I didn't hang around long enough to find out, flinging myself over its tail, displacing the impact of my jump through a dive roll. "Of course no one sees when you get that move right, but when you accidentally do a dive roll onto a deadly monster in training the whole camp sees." Sulking I tried to block out the memory of that time, focusing on striking the monster when I could. 

I delivered some damage to the beast, slowing it down, but five minutes passed with no sign of Annabeth, or her supposed plan. Just when I was considering what path to take, I saw a glimpse of Annabeth on the edge of a tree branch, right above the Chimera. From this I could guess her plan - to kill the Chimera by stabbing it forcefully to the back of the neck. The original Chimera has been killed by a combination of lead poisoning and suffocation but we didn't have the time to go find a lead ball to shove down its throat. Annabeth's dagger should do the trick - most monsters could be killed by an extreme injury, and if the  Chimera proved to be one of the few exceptions ... well then, I guess we would have a problem on our hands.

All I had to do was keep this large, deadly, fire breathing monster from moving to ensure that Annabeth could get the fatal strike. Simple.

Darting back and forth I kept the Chimera from moving too far in any direction. I didn't dare to look up at Annabeth, not wanting to alert the monster to her position. When I did finally see a blur through the sky, as she leapt from the tree, I held my breath waiting for the Chimera to fall.