Chapter 8

Kelly planned to invite seven friends over Friday night. She provided snacks and drinks, but also wanted to order pizza. If half of the girls wanted pepperoni and the rest wanted plain, how many pizzas of each kind would Kelly have to get if each girl ate two slices?

                I put my elbows on the table and rested my head in my hands, trying to focus and figure out where to start. I knew I had to write an equation and it seemed easy enough, but my head seemed to be entirely blank. The only thing I got from this whole word problem is the word pizza.

                My stomach began to growl and I quickly coughed to cover it up, even though Zach probably can’t hear it in this cafeteria. My body begged me for some food now that the only thing I can think about is pizza. I imagined all the calories in just one slice and how quickly it adds up because once I had one slice I would not be able to stop.

                “What’s got you stumped?” Zach asked, eating away like he couldn’t taste the calories in every bite.

                “Everything. My mind feels blank, but I still have racing thoughts.” I explained softly, taking a deep breath.

                Zach wiped his fingers on his napkin, looking at me curiously and probably thinking I’m the stupidest person he’s even met. “What are racing thoughts?”

                “Thoughts in my head that don’t stop. They just keep going and drive you insane eventually.”

                Zach looked at me like he sort of knew what I was saying, but probably didn’t and took the paper away from me. The bench I sat on dipped and a shadow-casted over me. “You alright, Abby?”

                I looked over at my brother and smiled to cover up my pain, hoping the questions didn’t start. “Yeah, I’m fine.”

                “No you’re not.” Zach scoffed. “You’re having racing thoughts.”

                I abruptly looked at him and tried not to glare angrily. Just two seconds ago he had no idea what that even meant and now he’s telling me brother about them. How does that make sense? I get that he’s friends with him, but he doesn’t have to get me involved.

                Alex glanced at Zach before looking back at me, running his tongue along his bottom lip in frustration. He sighed and shook his head, before reaching into his back pocket for his wallet. He opened it and pulled out two dollars, tucking his wallet away in the pocket of his jeans before handing me the money. “Abby-“

                “I’m not eating, Alex.”

                He sighed again, “I wasn’t going to make you. Go get something to drink so at least you’re not dehydrated.”

                I turned around and looked at the vending machine all the way on the other side of the cafeteria. How am I supposed to go past all these loud people as they stare at me without having an anxiety attack?

                I faced Alex again and looked at the money, not sure it it’s worth it. If I pass out, I’ll probably go to the hospital, but if I get a drink I’ll have an anxiety attack and go to the hospital. Both options suck.

                Taking a deep breath, I took the money, figuring he wanted to talk to Zach alone. Standing on my shaky feet, I focused on the drink that I needed and started walking, maneuvering my way around people and tables.