Chapter 13

I stood next to our lunch table and tried to avoid looking at Zach as he glanced up at me. “What’s up?”

                I tossed the papers in my hand onto the table and sat down across from him, refusing to say what I know he wants me to say. Somehow I had passed my quiz in Algebra with a B+ and my bio test with an A+. Not a one hundred, but still good enough for me. I guess Zach has something that helps me stay focused or remember everything I should because the test seemed easy for me last week. Of course, I was freaking out and was the last to finish, but I still got through it and I don’t think anyone could have helped me accomplish that. Even Alex has tried, but I either ended up zoning out or having a meltdown.

                Zach looked at both papers and grinned, sliding them back towards me. “Nice. I told you it was possible.”

                I finally looked up at him, noticing how exhausted and rugged his expression is today. He must have had trouble sleeping. “Thank you, Zach.”

                He rolled his eyes and wiped his hands on his jeans, pulling out his expensive phone. “Don’t thank me. It’s not that big of a deal.”

                “It is to me.”

                Zach glanced at me and smiled, pressing a bunch of buttons of his phone. I’m not really sure where we stand after our date on Friday, but it probably meant nothing to him so I haven’t brought it up. We really didn’t do anything besides hold hands so it’s not like I could casually mention it. I ran my fingers through my hair and reached into my bag, pulling out my diet soda.

                “Are you okay, Zach?” I asked, unscrewing the top and taking a big gulp. “You look exhausted.”

                He smiled softly down at me and then glanced back at his phone. “Just work. Didn’t get a lot of sleep last night.”

                “Oh.” I mumbled. “Your boss makes you work night shifts?”

                He narrowed his eyes at me in confusion and shrugged. “Something like that. I work whenever he needs me.”

                “What do you do?”

                Zach sighed and rubbed his face repeatedly, resting his head in his hands. “I make deliveries for people.”

                “Like UPS? Or like a pizza delivery guy?”

                He laughed and shook his head, “Neither. It’s complicated, okay?”

                I smiled softly and nodded my head, getting the message clearly that he doesn’t want to talk about it. I took out my phone and put in my ear buds, listening to music and drinking my diet soda until lunch was over.

                I decided to skip last period since I was starting to feel anxious and didn’t want to make a scene in front of the class. Especially since Zach is in it. He already has enough reasons to hate me.

                I locked the door to the girl’s bathroom and put a sign on it that said out of order so that I could lay here and cry alone. I listened to sad music on my phone and drank some more diet soda, my stomach feeling like I drank acid. I couldn’t stand for fifteen minutes after I finished my soda; my stomach hurt so badly.

                Forty five minutes before the bell rang, I decided to leave the school and head home so that I don’t have to face all the people leaving at one time. I gathered all my stuff and left the bathroom, deciding to go out the back door of the school in case I get caught.