Close shots

It turned out Bertha was a blue truck with animal horns on the grill and enough room for everyone. Maybe the journey to find the Right Arm was going to be easier than you expected.

You were sat between Minho and Thomas in the second row, Newt was sat smiling to himself in the front while Jorge was driving and the others were in the back.

You watched as the landscape rolled past the windows in a blur of murky brown and dark yellow. It had become mountainous terrain instead of the sand dunes which lay behind you. You weren't complaining, you hated sand.

Minho gave you an uneasy look as you drove into a deep canyon, you squeezed his hand reassuringly and he looked out the window. The longer you survived and closer you got to the Right Arm the closer the two of you were becoming. You'd hold hands when you were worried, smile at each other after you made eye contact then look away feeling shy.

You were pulled out of your thoughts when you came to a sudden stop. You looked out the front of the windscreen wondering why Jorge had suddenly stopped driving. Cars were blocking the road like the drivers had all crashed and there was no way you would be able to drive through. Jorge got out the truck and everyone followed his lead looking around nervously.

"Well, I guess we're on foot." He said starting to weave through the cars. The place was completely silent. It made you feel uncomfortable, it was almost a little too quiet.

The others began to follow, walking between the randomly placed cars. You kept your eye on Minho who walking a few paces away with Newt.

You tore your eyes away from him and peered into the window of a car. It was dusty and didn't have anything of value inside. Either the people who used to own it didn't have time to pack anything or it'd been stolen later on. You'd learnt that a lot of people would prefer to steal what others had rather than do anything else. People did desperate things when they were trying to survive.

You saw movement out of the corner of your eye and you turned around to see Thomas examining what looked like a bullet hole through the windscreen of a car. He looked up at you worry in his eyes, you were about to go around the car and talk to him but gunfire sounded and another bullet shot through the windscreen narrowly missing him.

"Take cover!" He shouted and you dived behind the car closest to you.

"Everyone okay out there?" Newt shouted quickly. You looked around carefully, you couldn't see anyone. You suspected Brenda, Teresa, Aris and Frypan were behind the car to the right of you but it was impossible to tell

"Y/n, you good?" You heard Minho shouted from somewhere ahead of you.

"Fine!" You called back.

"Anyone know where those bloody shots came from?" Newt shouted his voice echoing around the canyon.

You could hear Jorge and Thomas talking but couldn't make out what they were saying. You looked up at the canyon wall, there must be people up there hiding. You knew this place felt a little too quiet.

You spotted Thomas's head appear over the bonnet of a car facing you. Shot immediately hit the car and he ducked quickly.

"What do we do?" Came his voice a second later and you were relieved none of the shots hit him.

Maybe they were missing on purpose?

"Everybody!" Jorge yelled to us, "Get set to sprint back to the truck." You sighed out of annoyance and prepared yourself to run. But it never came, instead, you heard the dangerous sound of a gun reloading

"On your feet," a low female voice shouted, you couldn't see them from your position but you guessed from the direction they were by Thomas and Jorge. "Let's go." She ordered and Thomas, Jorge rose their arms in the air.

"Let's go. Move." She shouted again. "Back up," she nodded.

"Easy," Jorge muttered shuffling back quickly.

"Get up." The girl with blonde hair told you pointing her gun at you. You quickly stood up, arms in the air and backed to the others.

"You two over here!" The first one called to Minho and Newt who were crouched behind a car. You were happy to see they were both uninjured. You were all trapped together in a circle the girls watching us like hawks for any movement to resist or pull out a weapon.

"A-Aris." She stuttered lowering her gun slightly. The group turned to him confused. Did he know these people? The girl pulled her scarf to reveal her face. She had tanned skin, dark eyes and black hair.

"Oh my god, Harriet," Aris said stepping forward and hugging the newly named Harriet. 

"What the hell are you doing here?" She said. Her blonde companion pulled down her scarf. It annoyed you she was very pretty, her hair was tied in a fishtail and she had a look of shock on her face.

"Sonya," Aris said hugging the second girl.

"Aris, you're lucky we didn't shoot your dumbass." She replied but she looked pleased to see him.

"Well, this changed rapidly," You said casually lowing your arms.

"Er... what's happening?" Minho asked half annoyed half confused.

"We were in the Maze together," Aris explained looking happy.

"What a relief," you muttered sarcastically.

Harriet put her fingers in her mouth and whistled loudly. "We're clear guys come on out!" Her voice echoed loudly around the canyon. You looked up and saw figured appearing along the top.

"My god you're alive." Sonya smiled still hugging him. You smiled slightly pleased Aris had saved all of you from getting shot. You followed the two girls through the cars and into the short tunnel. "Back it up, Joe," Sonya called and a big green army style truck reversed making an opening.

You felt a hand around your waist and turned to see Minho, he looked unsure about the situation and you felt the same way. You smiled to him and he nodded back, when you turned back to the front he didn't move his hands. He was sending butterflies around your body from the point he was touching you, even though it wasn't skin on skin contact it was still a good feeling.

On the other side of the tunnel, men with guns milling around cars talking in low voices. They watched you carefully as you approached.

"We're taking them to base," Harriet explained to them sounding authoritative they nodded and retreated slightly.

"Wait, so how did you guys get here?" Aris asked his old friends.

"The Right Arm got us out," Harriet explained, she caught your attention with the name. That's exactly who you were looking for.

"Wait. Wait," Thomas said stepping in front of Aris. "The Right Arm, you know where they are?"

Harriet opened the car door behind her and nodded to it, "Hop in."

Thomas looked unsurely at Newt, you and Minho. They were your best chance at finding The Right Arm and as Aris knew them it was unlikely they were going to do anything. If they were in the Maze too it was likely that they were immune and therefore on the run from Wicked.

You nodded and Thomas agreed climbing in the car.

Harriet and Sonya directed you into two cars. You ended up going with Sonya. "I go where she goes," Minho said holding your hand when you followed Sonya into the car.

"You can stay with your girlfriend, don't worry." She smiled getting into the front.

"Good." He muttered quietly, you smiled at the fact he didn't correct that you weren't his girlfriend.

You were told the journey was a bit of a way so you decided to get some sleep. Your head was comfortably on Minho's shoulder and your eyes slid shut bringing you, for the first time in a while, to a relaxing peaceful sleep.

Peace at last. I've recently started to listen to songs that are edited to sound like your in an empty arena. The best way I can describe it is eargasmic, it's seriously incredible I recommend it.
Thanks for reading,
Lotta love AFG