SEVENTEEN

A/N: Shorter chapter but more frequent updates? Or Longer chapters but not as frequent? :))

Talk was cheap.

People said things they didn't mean, kept promises they couldn't keep and went back on words they said.

Especially my mother. Who decided after all that I'd be allowed to have my eighteenth birthday party. She insisted that it was cruel to take away a traditional milestone, but I'm fairly certain it was because of how depressed I'd been lately. In all honesty though, I wasn't depressed, just physically and mentally exhausted.

"Please mum. It's okay, I really don't want it," I begged.

"Nope. You have to have it. It's a rite of passage," she argued.

She was standing in the kitchen, one of her formal pantsuits on as she washed up our dirty breakfast dishes. She was on her way to work while I was on my way to school, which had recently become my worst nightmare.

If the looks I was receiving weren't sad and apologetic, they were angry and furious or pleased and stuck up. I'm sure you could guess which looks came from which people. If it wasn't bad enough, even one of my teachers had approached me and suggested I see the school counselor, which despite being supposedly depressed, just made me more embarrassed.

"Mum," I said sternly. "What happened to being grounded until I'm 30?"

She stopped washing the dishes to look at me. She crossed her arms, and her left foot began to tap impatiently on the floor, a sign she was about to seriously roast me.

"Maizie. You are having that party, getting drunk and having a good time!"

It was silent for a little while as I just stared at her.

"You know mum, you have a different kind of parenting method."

She smirked and shrugged her shoulders. "I'm a cool mum."

I had to suppress a snort at her reference to Mean Girls. She was one pretty, cool mum, not that I'd ever tell her out loud. Much like the other people I associated myself with, her ego was big enough.

I walked out of my kitchen, dragging my fluffy socks across the wooden floors. I was only about half way up my stairs when I heard my phone start going off like crazy. I knew it'd be Rosie probably freaking out about my party. I wouldn't be surprised if my mother had told her already. Sometimes I think my friends are closer with my mother than I am.

I decided to ignore Rosie's call, deciding I'd rather receive my head ache at school rather than over the phone. I sent her a quick text letting her know that we'd talk about it later.

In the meantime, I undressed, goosebumps forming on my skin from the sudden cold air. The hot water felt like heaven on my cold skin. My muscles instantly relaxed under the hot stream of water.