The Audition to end All Auditions

It's time to hope for the best! More like pray! you thought. You heard a bunch of the students whining in the background saying that they didn't want to do the play, but they had to for the extra credit. You took out your script before you walked on stage in front of the small crowd. You looked at Hyunjin who seemed to look interested into what you were going to do. "Excuse me miss, why are you covering your face?" said one of the two teachers sitting next to Daesun.

"I-I'm covering it because... if I mess up, I won't be humiliated." you lied. "I'm very paranoid about it."

"I see. Well, we're going to have to know your name in order toー"

"Ms. Drama, that's the Mae girl. She's the youngest student in our grade. She's really smart. Even though, everyone knows I'm better. Don't worry, she's in my class. I'll remember who she is if she gets the part." Daesun explained in her annoying high pitched voice.

"Very well then. I'll go first as Romeo, then you'll go ahead right after as Juliet." Ms. Drama insisted. You nodded. You were somewhat happy that you had put on the disguise. You were still able to audition while hiding yourself. She started.

"If I profane with my unworthiest hand,
This holy shrine, the gentle fine is this:
My lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand,
To smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss." She read out dramatically. You were dumbfounded by what she said. But you played along with it. At least, you tried to.

"Good pilgrim, you do wrong your hand too much,
Which mannerly devotion shows in this;
For saints have hands that pilgrims' hands do touch,
And palm to palm is holy palmers' kiss." you read off of your paper.

"Have not saints lips, and holy palmers too?"

"Um... Ay, pilgrim, lips that they must use in prayer."

"O, then, dear saint, let lips do what hands do;
They pray, grant thou, lest faith turn to despair."

"Saints do not move... though grant for prayers' sake?" you thought that all of this was cheesy.

"Then move not, while my prayer's effect I take.
Thus from my lips, by yours, my sin is purged."

"Then have my lips the sin that theyー ARRGH, I can't do this. This is too lame. Why don't they just make out already." you gave up. The students in the crowd were not surprised. Most of the kids who auditioned quit mid-way. Hyunjin loudly snickered, and you glared at him through your sunglasses.

"What do you find yourself uncomfortable with?" Daesun asked, mostly looking at her phone. She probably asked so that she could put up a front for the teachers.

"It's not that I don't like acting in general. Doing this play is the problem. Who even wants to see a bunch of high school students act out on this love story. I like the story of Romeo and Juliet. However, in reality, boys are diー jerks and girls are shady and fake. There's never this kind of love story in real life anymore. I know it's just 'pretending' but obviously, nobody here is passionate about this. No one cares anymore. Not even the drama club leader." you said nodding over to Daesun.

"She's not wrong." she said, still looking at her phone.

"Why are we even doing this play? Eleven times out of ten, the show will be trash and all of the parents and kids who spent their money to watch the it will be disappointed."

"I understand what you mean by that Miss... Face-mask-girl. But the principal is... strategic on how he earns money for the school. The benefits from participating is extra credit points, and many of the students who need them act out a lot. The only way for this show to be completely turned down is if everyone quits." Ms. Drama said. At that, all of the students left the auditorium. Hyunjin took a while to get up. "Welp, Miss Face-mask-girl, you would have gotten the part if the show wasn't cancelled." said the female teacher.