Long Night

Vanessa's POV

Vic,

Shit, I had forgotten all about him. In the back of my mind I could see him rolling in the back seat in agony. The haunting thought sent chills rushing up my spine and my muscles twitch. Why had I left him there alone? My body moved on its own as I sprinted to the door with Danyelle on my heels. When I opened the front door I was not only greeted by the cold night air but also a red eyed, raspy breathing, tousled haired Vic. His eyes connected to mine and in them I could see how tired…and scared he really was. Even though he was leaning up against the frame of the door his muscles trembled at the tiniest use. Instinctively I reached for his arm to help support him, but he shakily jerked away. I felt disappointed in his reaction. I had just wanted to help him, and I had assumed that after the blood sweating training we would be past this point. Danyelle came up to him instead and placed her hand on his head. His eyes widened at her nearness as if…something was wrong.

Before Danyelle could speak, Vic crashed onto the floor out of breath and out of strength. Danyelle’s expression was one of pure horror; I could see her body tremble as she fell to her knees. I quickly followed her to the floor besides Victor.

"Vic…. Vic what's wrong?" Danyelle asked pressing her light colored hands against his pale skin. When Vic didn't respond Danyelle started looking franticly from me back to Vic. "Vic….Vic, VIC! Vanessa what's wrong with him?" Her eyes were wide as she ran her fingers through his damp midnight hair.

"I figured it out on the way here.” She stared at me with such intensity that I was became unsure whether or not to tell her the rest. Her hand shook as she combed it through her brother’s hair and it made me understand that she needed to know. “He isn’t getting enough blood." I whispered cautiously.

Danyelle looked terrified as she whispered. "What do you mean?"

I felt myself freeze at her response. That had not been what I was expecting her to say. I had envisioned her getting pissed that her brother wasn’t taking care of himself and beat the living crap out of him. But this…cluelessness put me on edge. “He has been drinking blood…right Danyelle?”

She was initially shocked by my question her hand suddenly found its way to her mouth as if to cover some unheard cry. She really hadn’t known.

Ice filled my veins and slowly pumped throughout my body as I glared at her brother.

Surely he wasn’t that stupid. I looked back at his sister and her expression said it all. Fear and rage filled my body. I reached out for Danyelle and grabbed her shoulders. I gave her a light shake as if to bring her back to herself. “He’s not drinking blood?”

She slowly shook her head from side to side. "Not a drop." She said quietly stroking his hair. I gazed at Vic face, his smooth place face and untamed midnight black hair made my skin prickle.

"You damn idiot." I hissed at him through clenched teeth. I would have punched him if he hadn’t looked so damn weak and pathetic. I got up off the floor and started pacing back and forth frantically. What was I going to do now? My car had a fresh supply of blood but it was at some random theater miles away. I signed and rubbed my temples until I figured it out; I would have to go home and get some by using quick step. The only downside to this was that I wasn’t sure if I had enough energy to get there and back before Vic woke up.

“Why is it so important that he drinks it?” Danyelle asked worriedly.

I looked into her deep blue eyes and debated whether or not I should tell her. I didn’t want to scare her but then again he was her brother. She no longer had the luxury of staying in the dark.

“If he doesn’t drink blood he will go on a feeding frenzy.”

She stood there frozen for a moment as what I had just told her started to sink in. Her mouth turned into a grim line as anger started to take over. “What do you mean?” She spoke through clenched teeth.

Making my way over to the door I leaned against the frame where Vic had previously been. “When a vampire is refused blood for a long period of time their minds stop working properly. Their thirst for blood becomes too much for them to control and they basically go on a killing spree until their hunger has subsided. Right now Vic is struggling to stay in control of his thirst and it is taking its toll on him. If he doesn’t drink blood soon he will go on a rampage and… I might not be able to stop him.”

She looked down at her brother with anger. “Damn idiot.”

I smiled at her, “That’s what I said.”

Her anger turned into worry as she quickly looked back at Vic. “Does this mean that when he wakes up he will go on a rampage?”

I sighed as I made my way over to her and got down to her eye level. “Honestly, I’m not sure.”

Danyelle grabbed her brother’s shirt in the front and shook him. “You listen to me you dumbass. If you wake up as a rampaging vampire I will never forgive!”

I touched her shoulder. “He’s going to be fine Danyelle.” She dropped her brother in midair; his head knocked back onto the floor with a thud.

“For his sake he’d better be.”

I squeezed her shoulder in reassurance. “I promise.” She looked me in the eyes and nodded. “But just in case let’s get him upstairs.”

She snorted at my remark and helped me pick Victor up off the floor. Danyelle and I placed his long arms around our shoulders and attempted to drag him up the steps, and he must have been really out of it because we dropped him roughly five times going up.