Memorable Night

Later on that night I found myself in a short black dress that hugged my body nicely. The fabric of the dress felt light and elegant on my body. It had been one of those dresses that I had bought but never really gotten around to wearing. I smiled lightly as I brushed my fingertips along the ends the dress had just been waiting for this moment. My hair was pulled into a loose hairstyle that kept the majority of my mop out of my face but allowed a few strands to touch my back and shoulders. The outfit itself really didn’t call for much make-up or jewelry so I put on a light brown eye shadow that made my green eyes pop and wore a small cut ruby; that sparkled with each move I made.

A warm feeling bubbled to life in my chest as I thought about my date. He was already ten minutes late and my stomach was doing flips with every second that passed.

Aren’t the girls supposed to be fashionably late??

Vic didn’t seem like the kind of guy that would ditch out on a date so I wasn’t really worried about him not coming. I was actually more worried about him coming in fact. Would he think that I looked strange in a dress like this? Was the small ruby necklace too much? Honestly I was starting to panic about my appearance; it even made me wiggle in my seat.

I tried taking my mind off of it by focusing on something else. My eye landed instantly on the large centerpiece in the middle of out two person table. I rubbed my fingers along the flower petal and thought of some random flower facts. If I wasn’t thinking about Vic it would be easier to calm down the butterflies in my stomach. For instance the flower that the restaurant had chosen as its centerpiece was toxic if consumed. This flower also came in three colors which were white, yellow, and pink. The flower meaning was magnificent beauty which indeed they were beautiful but also very deadly.

I figured the petals carefully, while thinking of how strange it was that a restaurant would actually allow this type of flower in here. Since I had been completely absorbed by the flowers itself, I didn’t even notice that the chair across from me had been pulled out and occupied. I began to pull the flower out of its vase when a scarlet tulip dropped down in front of me. Fascinated by its sudden appearance I glanced up from the flowers to find a pair of icy blue eyes staring back at me. I could feel a smile spread across my face as I chirped,

“You came.”

Vic grabbed hold of the obnoxiously large bouquet of Calla lilies and placed them and the vase onto the floor. When his small task was accomplished he reached across the table and covered my hand with his.

“You really think I would miss our first date?” He smiled over at me.

“Well you were a little late.”

His joyful laugh warmed my heart, “Sorry about that.” He laced his fingers through mine. “I passed by a flower cart on the way here and picked out the red tulip for you.”

A small but powerful blush crept over my face. To have him thinking about me was got me flustered enough but now he was being romantic and getting me gifts. He was turning out to be the perfect man for me. A smile curved my lips as I picked up the flower and spun it around next to my nose. Flirtatiously I glanced at this heart stealing man over the petals.

“Thank you.”

Vic ran his thumb across the side of my hand that he was still holding. “Do you know what the woman at the cart told me it meant?”

I put the tulip down on the white clothed table and tried to decode its meaning. Like many flowers, different colors of tulips also often carry their own significance. Purple tulips are most strongly associated with royalty but I didn’t know what a red one meant.

“No,”

His smile turned into something wicked. Instantly I felt a warm breath surge through my body as his eyes sparkled mischievously. His lightening blue eyes drew me in closer as he leaned over the table secretively. “It means-