Training Grounds

Vic’s POV

"Vic…"
A chilling ghostly voice whispered. My hand tightened into a fist as I swung wildly in the direction of the voice. My hand sliced through the air with a quiet whistle and hit… nothing. Nothing again but this god forsaken fog!

I heard a joyous giggle and swung in its direction. My fist came into contacted with something hard and I smiled as I heard the cracking sound of bones. My insides were jumping with joy as the fog began to clear. When the sheet of gray had vanished I saw a broken tree laying in pieces on the moist ground. I growled in frustration when I realized that my little vampire had deluded me again. I screamed out my frustration in as many curse words as possible as I smashed down another tree.

"Your quick temper will be your down fall," the ghost whispered. In response my fist connected with yet another tree. "You need to find a way to control your anger. You'll never get anywhere in battle if you’re not focused."

Even though she was trying to give me helpful advice I just brushed it off like all her other comments. It wasn’t that I was mad at her or anything it was this damn fog was really testing my patients. I couldn’t see a damn thing and every time I missed a hit I felt as if I wasn’t making any progress. I tried listening more carefully to pinpoint where my target might be and came up short handed.

I've been at this thing for a whole five hours and still I haven't caught her!

I bumped into a thick oak tree and literally went crazy! I started mowing down trees with my fists until her soft whispers were lost in the wind. There in the new clearing I had just made I sat. This childish game of predator and prey had really gotten to me. I guess running into tree's all day had made me a little crazy. I realized that maybe I had gone a little overboard. I inhaled deeply and closed my eyes. Slowly I started to feel calmer and clear headed. With both of those I was able to think straight. Obviously I couldn’t find her or even track her down in this fog. I was completely out of my element here, but she on the other hand seemed to know exactly where I was at any given moment. So she had the upper hand in this place and I needed to find a way to turn things around. Since I couldn’t find her maybe I could make her come to me.

Right you'll be dead before she comes to you.

"…hmmm…"

Vanessa's POV

I was a horrible mentor! How could I have lost him? He was pouting a second ago in the clearing he had just made and then BAM! He was gone.

Maybe he used quick step.

I took a deep breath to calm my nerves then started listening closely. Currently I was sitting on a high up tree branch that way I could watch him closely without actually getting hit. For a human this spot would make it very difficult for them to hear anything that was happening on the ground; however, for a vampire the open space allowed me to catch every sound that was made close to me. I continued to listen and continued to hear nothing but the light breeze blowing the leaves around. Frustrated I stood and started pacing up and down the long thick branch. Now I heard footsteps but they were only my own.

Maybe something bad happened.

He would have made some kind of noise and we would have heard him.

Maybe he's hurt!

Again we would have heard him!

What if a tracker found him!

We're in the middle of nowhere and nobody knows about this place except for us and mom.

What if Winden came by with one of his surprise visits and found Vic?

My voice of reason slowly faded as cold hard fear settled in. When a gut turning howl coursed through the air my heart broke in two and that little voice of reason was gone. Cold hard panic took its rightful place and coursed through every fiber of my being. Without thinking twice I jumped from treetop to treetop in the direction of the howl.

When I saw his body lying face down in a small circle of trees my worst fears were realized. My body shook uncontrollable and my eyes grew watery with unshed tears. I jumped down and I thought my weak knees would give out from under me when I landed, luckily they didn't. I hadn't smelt any blood but that didn't mean he was hurt or even worse… dead.

My heart hammered against my chest as I ran towards him screaming at the top of my lungs,

"Vic!"

I kneed down beside him and slowly placed my hand on his shoulder to turn him over when…