Chapter 34

Beeping.

Beeping is all I can hear.

My body feels cold. But I know that something is covering me. I can feel it. The semi rough fabric brushing against my arms and legs. Nothing is on my face though. Except something that keeps tickling my nose.
"Mmmmh.." I mumble out.
I can hear someone shifting next to me, and another shift on the other side, but I'm not moving.

But when I do, I slowly start to open my eyes. It's a lot harder than it sounds. My eyelids are tired, and I feel like my entire body has been sucked dry by a vampire.
Plus, it doesn't help that whatever room I'm in has the brightest and most blinding lights on earth.

I flicker my eyes open, just enough to get myself used to the lights.
I'm in a room. A hospital room. It's not that hard to tell, the windows leading outside my door look like some kind of lobby. Or check in area.
The monitors are all hooked onto me and standing near me. The wires aren't all that long.
When I bring my hand up to my face to scratch my nose, I feel a plastic tube that is placed right under my nostrils, and wrapped around to the back of my head. But I also feel the pressure I feel on my hand. It's not exactly a cast, but it is heavily bandaged. I could feel the same kind of cloth around my stomach

What did they do to me?

When I look around I see Ryder, and Parker. Both on either side of me, just watching me as I adjust myself.
I know they wanna talk. But I don't.
Ryder lied to me. What else has he lied about.
And Parker lied too. He said he wasn't apart of the gangs. And he is.

"Athie?" Parker says first. I don't look at him or anything. I'm simply looking straight ahead, because If I turn my body then I'll be facing Ryder. My idiot, dumb murdering brother.

"Athie? Please, just listen to us." Ryder says. There's a certain look in his eyes that shows when I look at him. Sorrow, pain.
Good.
"I-..I didn't mean for this to happen. Okay. I know, it's bad. And I shouldn't... I shouldn't have lied to you. I didn't want to admit to my little sister that I was apart of a gang. That I lead it. I'm sorry." He kneeled down onto the floor and gripped onto my hand and held it close to his face.
"I'm so sorry." He said. Although I wasn't to sure if he was talking to me or someone else.. like mom.

He promised that he would watch over me, during the funeral. He promised to her, that he would keep me safe, no matter what.
Maybe he thought that he was doing this to help with money? I don't know why though. We have a ton of it.

"Athena jacks?" A nurse walks in just in time before the silence got too uncomfortable.
"Hello. I'm nurse Hally. I just wanted to let you know, we should be discharging you in only a few hours." She gave me a warm gentle smile, her black hair was falling down near her face but her squared shaped glasses kept it out of the way. She seemed older, maybe late 50's. She had that perfect grandma feel to her. That feeling that just makes you warm, and cozy inside.

"Are you sure we should discharge her? It's only been a day?"

A day?!

"Shouldn't there be more tests, what about her lungs?" Parker was definitely going to town on the whole questioning deal.
How much have I missed. I could hardly understand everything that he was asking her about.

"Sweetie." She grabbed parkers hand and held them in hers.
"She is going to be fine. The surgery went well. She's able to go home now." She smiled at him, the brings her hand up to pat the side of his cheek. Then left.
She reminds me of Honey. How they are both so beautiful and warm. They could make me happy on any sad day.

"What happened to me?" I asked right away as Parker walked over and scooted the chair closer to me. I only stared at him.

"Ryder's gang got you pretty bad... they uh, they slashed your arm. And one of your ribs cracked. They put you in surgery and everything went  well."

Hmm. Okay. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Not as bad as the accident. I can live with this.

"Okay." I say blankly.
I looked at my hands and started taking out all of the needles that were taped inside me.

"Hey! Woah woah woah what are you doing?" Parker looks frantic but as he moves around I can see that he isn't sure where to hold me because of the wrapping around my body.

"She said that I'm being discharged in a few hours. Might as well speed up the process a little."
Did I mention that I hate hospitals? Absolutely hate them. Can't stand them. The smell, the blank walls. Why does every hospital seem to have the same color scheme? The same shitty old food and crappy smell. The same disgusting sheets. I hate it.
I. Hate. It.

Monitors were beeping like crazy as I flung the bed sheets off of me and swung my feet across to land them on the floor

"Athie, stop. You need to stop." Ryder tried to come near me as Parker did but I reached my hands out to hold them back.

"No. You both need to stop." I say. I can already feel the warm sensation in the back of my eyes.
"Y-you both lied to me. Ryder, you-.... you're a murderer." I whisper. Ryder immediately looks down as his jaw tightens and he grips his fists.
"Your in a gang. And Parker, you, you said that you weren't apart of that business. That you had no part in it at all. That was a lie, wasn't it?"
Parker is only starring at me, his mouth slightly gaped open as he doesn't know what to say.

And for a moment, neither do I. All I want to do, is go home.
I just want to be home. And away from these two idiots.

"You both need to leave, now." I say

"What? Athena, you can't be serious?" Ryder questions

"I am. You need to leave. I'll stop by later and get my things. But for now, I want you both to just stay away. I-... I can't deal with either of you. And I certainly don't want to see you." Tears were falling my now, my voice cracking and getting soft... quieter.

A few moments later the nurses all come into my room and try to get me into bed. But I refuse. I walk straight over to the papers that needed to be signed. And changed my clothes.
Parker and Ryder both tried to stop me.
But how could I look at them the same way?

I can't do that. So I call the only person I actually have left...

"Hello?"

"Angie?"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>