twenty-two

i feel there is an unhealthy amount of abba in this story already xD er- it kinda just happened??

     If someone had told Jared at the start of term that he’d find himself in Isaac’s Ford Fiesta with Cosmo in the back and Mamma Mia blaring from the speakers (it was the pink CD, apparently- surprise), he’d’ve told them in no uncertain terms to fuck right off.

     But here he was on Monday morning, with Isaac giving him a lift to school and Cosmo on the way to a job interview (miracles never cease… although this miracle was less due to all that destiny crap and more down to Mum telling Cos he had to get a job or get out).  Isaac was singing along, loudly, and Cosmo was proclaiming Isaac his new favourite person in the whole world purely because they shared the same weird, twisted love for Abba. Fucking weirdos, thought Jared, smiling anyway because Isaac had this way of being an idiot in a really fucking endearing way.

    They screeched into the car park of the Butcher’s Arms ‘licensed pub and family restaurant’ with five minutes to go until registration. He and Isaac turned round to face Cosmo, who was looking rather pale.  Isaac had turned the music down to a vague pop murmur in the background, and it was clearly pep-talk time.

    “Go Cos,” said Jared awkwardly, reaching out to give his brother a quick shove on the shoulder. “You’re gonna be the best fucking waiter they’ve ever had, okay? Just think how much money you can save up for drinks at uni.”

     Cosmo nodded, still looking reluctant to get out of the car.

    “You can do it,” Isaac added encouragingly. And then he paused, holding up a finger for a second before grinning and reaching to turn the sound on the speakers up just as the song changed and Abba sang,

    “YOU CAN DANCE! YOU CAN JI-IVE!”

     Cosmo beamed and Jared couldn’t help himself laughing, shouting,

    “Go get ‘em, bro!” as Cos got out the car. “We’re gonna be in so much shit,” he remarked to Isaac when Cos was gone and they were driving away. Isaac looked down at the clock. They were already past registration time and still had ten minutes worth of driving left before they’d get to school.

    “I feel like such a rebel,” answered Isaac in a voice heavy with sarcasm, and shot Jared one of those blinding grins of his before winding down the windows and turning Abba up even more.